LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

My name is LT1_duke and I am new to this forum! I have a life-time project here that I am restoring: its a 85 Camaro that I want to put a 1996 LT1 engine with a TH700 into! The car has received a new paint job and is ready for the engine installation. The engine is a LT1 Corvette engine with aluminium heads!

I have a centrifugal supercharger here that is mounted on the LT1 engine:

My goal is to produce around 400 horsepower. The stock LT1 has 300 horsepower. So I need about 6-8 PSI of boost.

I would like to run the Optispark as the distributor, but get rid of the issues with respect to the timing pick-up - and simply use the existing 4x cranksensor to time injection and spark. This is possible with the 411 PCM/ECU modification:

Few questions I have here:

1) I have the HPtuner software here and that can be used to program the 411 PCM/ECU. Do you know if I am able to put a boost-retard in there? I would like to reduce timing by 1 degree per PSI of boost, so in total 8 degrees retard for 8PSI of boost. Can I do that with the 411 and HP tuners?

2) I would like to run a MSD ignition system on the engine. This should not be an issue with the converted 411 module as any potential spark-over in the optispark will only damage the timing circuit board which I am not actually using. With the 411 PCM/EDU modification, the damage-prone part of the Optispark is not required to function. Has anyone done this and is this possible?

There is also the option to use the "MSD Boost Timing Master" in conjunction to a MSD 6 series ignition unit, but I would rather go without this box as it is 500 dollars extra...

What do you think?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are the 411 parts I would be purchasing for the conversion:

PCM mount:

Electrical connector:

PCM:

Overall about 150 USD.

· Registered
13 Posts
The recommended PCM/ECM is from a 2001 up Vortec L31 Express / Savanna van because it is set up to use one coil, firing order, fuel pressure.and the other parameters closely resembles the LT1. Many have swapped out and were able to start up and even drive prior to Dyno tune. In as far as power adders I have no clue in as far as HPTuners and other software out there.

Other LS PCM/ECMs may work but is gonna require a lot of tuning, and for the reasons stated above is why my research led me too the L31 Vortec.

I am no expert at all with this but this is the way I went after much research. Although I have the L31 Vortec Express PCM and connectors I have yet to do pinouts and such as I am doing other things at the moment that is requiring me attention.

As far as cost all PCM/ECMs and connectors are gonna run about same price I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts