LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my opti spark on 96 z28 camaro also did the water pump now when I start the car it misfires real bad.

·
Global Moderator
13,480 Posts
Go to the shoebox site. He has a pic of the correct place to instal cam pin into opti. www.shbox.com
#55 in component views section.

Note that his pic has where each cylinder's plug wire should go. It's a common mistake to place plug wires in wrong places.

Also pay attention to the correct hole cam dowel pin fits into. Note there's a similar hole on back of opti and 3 shallow holes. It is also fairly common for people to get cam pin to wrong hole.

Lets say you go opti installed correctly & plug wires in correct location. So next try misting plug wires with some water. Run engine at nigh in a dark area. That way you'll see if there's any spark leakage.

Next, if no spark leakage, lets discuss brand of opti you installed. If it's not a GM, Delco, or Delphi opti, it's junk. You will need an oscilloscope to see if opti low & high resolution signals are the correct square waveform.

You can buy a PC based scope for around $70 on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Scope is only 100% way of confirming low & high res pulse from opti to PCM are the correct square wave, with no drop out, or waveform changes.

And to help you out here's a link to the 96 service manual.
www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Could it be a possibility I thru the timing off by moving the harmonic balancer by hand to get the opti spark out??

·
Global Moderator
13,480 Posts
Turning the engine over by hand using the harmonic balancer would normally not change crank to cam timing. Unless your timing gears & chain are worn so bad there's way too much slack in chain.

This is assuming you turned engine over in the normal direction of rotation. Turning engine over going counter clockwise can disturb crank to cam timing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got another question when doing the timing chain set its suppose to be 12 o'clock an 6 o'clock lining up right? Should the dail be on 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock? Any help? Thanks I got the 5.7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts