LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O K , LOOKING FOR ADVICE. I HAVE A 95 Z28 LT1 SIX SPEED. WAS NOT ABLE TO READ CODES. AFTER MUCH RESEARCH I FOUND A ACTRON CP 9690 SCANNER DID THE JOB. IT WAS RUNNING VERY POOR & OVERHEATING. THE COOLING FANS WOULD NOT RUN. AFTER A NEW WATER PUMP & T-STAT IT STILL OVERHEATED, NO FANS. FINALLY WITH THE SCANNER I GOT A CODE 24-SPEED SENSOR RT REAR WHEEL. THAT CONFUSED ME. I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY SPEED SENSOR SO I CLEARED THE CODE & BINGO, THE ENGINE RAN PERFECTLY ! ON THE TEST DRIVE THE SES CAME ON AGAIN. THIS TIME FOR THE MAP SENSOR. REPLACED THAT & IT WAS CURED. NOW THE NEXT TEST DRIVE AS I STARTED TO CRANK IT UP IN FIRST GEAR IT SHUT DOWN LIKE I HIT A STONE WALL. I DO HAVE THE SKIP SHIFT WIRE IN IT. HAD THE SCANNER WITH ME & CODE 16 CAME UP - VOLTAGE TOO LOW. CLEARED THE CODE & IT FIRED RIGHT UP . DROVE ABOUT 20 MILES & NO MORE CODES. I DID NOT CRANK IT UP THOUGH. BACK AT THE GARAGE I TESTED THE ALTERNATOR & IT IS AT 14 VOLTS. THAT IS GOOD. ALSO SAID ABOUT THE IGNITION SYSTEM. IS IT POSSIBLE THE OPTISPARK IS BAD AT HIGH RPM'S ? THE CAR HAS 99,000 MILES ON IT. THE COOLING FANS WORK NOW & NO OVERHEATING. I LIKE TO CRANK IT UP WHEN I AM DRIVING IT BUT DON'T WANT TO ALWAYS HAVE THE SCANNER WITH ME TO GET IT RUNNING AGAIN. WOULD LIKE TO GIVE IT A GOOD RUN WHEN I AM CRANKING IT UP. ANY ANSWERS TO HELP ME OUT ? THANKS A LOT !

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
DTC 24 is for the VSS that is attached to rear of transmission. I suggest downloading the 95 factory service manual at the following link. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

After changing water pump, did you bleed the air out of the cooling system? This is very important. Go to the following link and follow the advice on bleeding the system there. www.shbox.com

# 15 in how to section will tell you how to bleed system.

Sorry but Dtc 16 is opti low resolution signal missing. This kills the engine. Sounds like you need to look up any code you get in 95 service manual. Your Actron is not giving you the right code definitions. Only 100% way of checking opti low & high resolution signals is with an oscilloscope.

You can buy a PC based scope for about $70 on ebay, amazon, etc. If you have to buy a new opti use only GM, Delco or delphi opti. The rest are garbage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI COCO, THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO. I DOWNLOADED THE SERVICE MANUAL &TOOK A QUICK LOOK AT IT. ALL THE INFO I WILL NEED. YES I DID GET THE COOLING SYSTEM BLED & FULL. FOR SOME REASON THE COOLING FANS WOULD NOT RUN WHILE THE CODE 24 WAS IN IT. WHEN I GOT IT CLEARED THEN THE FANS WORKED. WITH THE MANUAL NOW I CAN FIGURE OUT & REPAIR ALL OF THE CODES I WAS ABLE TO READ. I ALREADY PUT THE CAR IN STORAGE FOR THE WINTER SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I GET EVERYTHING CURED IN THE SPRING. I WILL READ THE MANUAL A BIT EVERY WEEK TO PREPARE. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR RESPONDING & HELP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts