LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, hope all had a good Memorial Day.

I've never done much work on cars; this is my first thing beyond an oil change or air intake upgrade.
I've been working on my 1995 Z28 (m6) towards getting the cylinder heads off, since (as you can see from the thread title) it has a blown head gasket. I've been following the shbox.com guide to cam removal (very well written and absolutely as helpful as possible), as far as getting the intake manifold off (also did the throttle body bypass, why not), but I'm pretty sure once that comes off my mission diverges from the cam job that page is really meant for.

Is this right? Now that the intake manifold is off, now it's time for the exhaust manifolds, I'm assuming. Will that be a super PITA for me? I don't have access to a lift, but the car is up on jack stands in front, affording SOME room underneath.
The exh. manifolds are really rusty, too, so I'm not too happy about that either. I wonder if it'd be the worst thing to just cut 'em off an inch or two away from the heads, and replace them later on with a relatively low-cost pair of headers.

Thanks in advance for any replies, I'm really glad for the community of guidance these forums provide :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
haveing fun yet

if you have the intake off half the battle is over when you start takeing the exuast off the driver side is the easyest if you take the oil filter you can drop the manafold down the botom the passager side has to stay in intill you take the head out but if you pull the oil dipstick out you can pull the manifold back so you can get to the bottom head bolts and if you want a easy clean up on the block and the heads auto zone sells a wire wheel that is for gasket clean up but be sure not to press to hard press just hard enuff to clean the service also put a couple of rags in the vally to limit the trash form getting in there

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Spray down the exhaust bolts and nuts with pb blaster or another penetrating solution. Let them sit several hours then spray them again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I guess my next order of business is to drain the oil (guess I forgot) and remove the oil filter, spraying PB blaster while I'm down there.

So if I'm reading this right, from here it's
1. Remove oil filter
2. Drop driver's side exhaust manifold
3. Unbolt pass side exh manifold
4. Remove oil dipstick
5. Unbolt both heads
6. Remove, then do the cleaning and what not.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Getting the intake off is certainly an entertaining job, if you can get the header bolts easy that's most of the hard work done, I agree about taking your time, its cheaper than broken studs and rounded nuts. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha I'll keep that in mind. Thanks guys.

I actually meant to send that like a week ago... it's been sitting in this tab in Firefox ever since, lol.
Since then I've gotten as far as emptying the oil, but I put the filter back after it drained just to keep the system sealed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts