LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime i drive my car it likes to die. mostly when i come to a stop never when i drive but the rpm guage likes to jump around. I had to replace the opti not to long ago probably has 300 miles on it. all clynders fire new spark plugs ac delcos not wires. im debating if its my ignition switch. when the car dies everything is still on ex. the radio. also when the opti died my father switched out the ignition switch. the the previous owner gave it too me saying his old one blew...... i wonder if its it. also when the car dies the abs relay makes a noise pulled it out car ran fine put it in car dies. all grounds are nice and clean and ohm out correctly. this has been happening for those 300 miles any help would be awsome thanks.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Does car start back up when it dies, or do you have to wait for awhile before it starts back up?

If car starts back up after stalling, put car on an obd1 scanner that does real time sensor data. You want to monitor your iac counts. Iac counts should be up around 50 or 60, or higher, while your slowing down. This is what prevents your car from stalling when you let off the gas to coast or come to a stop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somtimes I gotta wait then itll start. when I turn the key after it dies the abs relay makes a noise but when it stops the car starts.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
When you say the ignition switch was changed, do you mean the lock cylinder, or do you mean the electrical part of ignition switch located under the dash attached to steering column.

I ask because the symptom of abs relay buzzing sounds like it is losing power momentarily, then getting ignition switch power again. So check the electrical part of ignition switch for all power inputs and all power outputs.

94 service manual available in 4th gen section. Look for thread titled " GM service manuals" Use the wiring diagrams in volume 2 section 8 to make tests. Ign sw has several power inputs and several power outputs. Check outputs with ign sw on.

Also check your fusable links. They're in the small red box on the inner fender well. They provide power to both fuse boxes, and ignition switch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one the wires go too. It looked old to begin with. With the abs relay out it works fine just rpm guage jumps in the 3k to 4k range when I rev it that high. Also forgot to mention I saw smoke come outa the dash too. One time tho

·
Registered
63 Posts
Something aint right bro........ Smoke from the dash and you still try to drive it...... Not smart.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No after that its been parked I saw smoke pulled over and ran lol not alot just alittle smoke and some burning. When I drove it home itdidnt do it again but I threw the car in neutral and idled it too 1500 rpm so it wouldnt die on me going home after a couple stops the smoke came. I stoped that no smoke.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Where there's smoke. at least in the electrical system, there's shorted wires or components. Your job, IMF squad, is to find the source of the smoke and burning.
If smoke coming from under dash the next paragraph applies. If coming from engine compartment, you will still need the IMF team, but at least you won't have to get under the dash.

IMF= impossible mission force. I say this because you are going to have to get under the dash, with a bright light, and find what wires and/or components are burned. It should be obvious when you've found the suspect or suspects.

The impossible part comes in, if your under dash excursion doesn't reveal anything, so next you would have to tear the dash, steering column, etc out to get to the hidden wire that runs through there.

Good luck, and this is a time to definitely have the wiring diagrams, and component location diagrams in the 94 service manual.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have diagrams and such I had to replace the dash not to long ago some yahoo put a comp in there. My father told me checked all of them when the opti died bc he didnt know anything about a opti at the time. He said none of this happend till we switched that switch. im gonna rip it out and look for burns. Hes been a mechanic for over 20yrs and loves his multimeter.

I did a little odd test I put the abs relay back in started the car put it in neutral held brakes and idled it to 1500 again and burning smell came as soon as I let off the gas car died. Took out relay did same thing but no burning and didnt die. I dont know if it helps at all. Dumb yes I know but kinda narrows down things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switched it runs good but car dies and the dash lights are flickering now but when it dies it can start right up again

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
stop trying to replace parts until the entire chassis wiring harness has been checked over.

if electrical related smoke has come from somewhere in your car, there are likely entire runs of wire that have now been completely roasted and must be replaced before the car is safe to drive

this thing is a fire waiting to happen. it's unsafe to drive it until you get the electrical gremlins sorted out

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
and you know what, tell your 'mechanic' daddy i want to smack him upside the head for letting his son drive a car that had been 'smoking from behind the dash' without giving enough of a **** to take the entire dash out and check it over.... your airbag could deploy from a console electrical fire..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It happend when I was driving home he was following me when that happend. He took a day off to look at it today. My old ignition that I just took out was burnt. The culprit was that pins were bent on the switch. Im 20 yrs old its my own fualt lol. And by smoke it was like a blade of grass. Everything checks out. The car dies but starts again right awsy all fuses go im gonna check fuel pressure next. When it trys to stall (rpms hit 0) I hit the gass then it keeps going. I havent driven car after the smoke but bad switch the pre owner gave me

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dad got it running like its brand new again. One of the plug pins werent seating right and was loose. In the ign switch. He drove it for about an hr nothing happend.... yet lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue in a Mazda I had when I was a kid. It ended up I had aired the radio wrong. But it also blew out the dash, tail, and break light fuses

1 - 16 of 16 Posts