LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing the valve lash on my 95 lt1, only to realize the rocker studs seemed too short. #1 intake stripped when I revved the motor up to about 6k. The rocker nuts only go on a couple of threads. Does anyone have a part number for longer 3/8" rocker studs? Maybe ARP? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I need it to be at least 2 inches long (the rocker end, not the head end).

Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Global Moderator
12,986 Posts
Have you tried Jegs & Summit Racing? They should have many different rocker studs.

Now the big questions are; have you modded the valve train? Or have you checked for damage and/or incorrect parts? With stock parts & everything in order, you shouldn't have to adjust the rocker arm nut to the end of it's travel on the stud.

Are you sure you adjusted the rocker arms correctly?

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 95 Camaro is my buddies car. The engine was built by someone else. It has an aftermarket cam, lifters and push rods, with a few other minor bolt-on additions. One morning he started the engine and 5 seconds later the rod went through the block. So he found another engine, bone stock, and used all the speed parts he could salvage from his first engine and installed it on the 'new' engine. Fast forward a year, we had it purring just minutes before the valve started making noise. It still has the stock roller rockers with the stock length pushrods.

When I was adjusting the valve lash, I noticed the rocker nuts only screwed on a couple of threads on every valve. Last night we double checked the rocker studs from the other engine, which were identical in length. They are: 7/16" by 3/8", 24 tpi, 2-1/4" total length. We came to the conclusion we need longer rocker studs. 2-1/2" will do.

So my question is: has anyone had a problem like this? If so, how was it solved? I firmly believe longer studs are the answer.

I checked Summit Racing for rocker studs for this particular car and came up with no results. Jegs only sells direct replacement studs. Not longer studs. I haven't found anything from ARP, as of yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: (yes, it’s been awhile) the longer studs did make the difference. Still trying to figure out why. I think it may have been the combination of the aftermarket cam and rockers on stock studs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts