LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a 95 formula, it needed a tune up. So I put plugs, and new wires. I still had the same issue. I changed the optispark. Well then I had a crank no start it was ignition cont. mod. It’s alive again, but since then it hasn’t been right I’ve tried a lot I put a new fuel filter new fuel pressure reg. Hallowed the cat vaccume on these models are a nightmare the alternator is over charging I have a new one on the way. If anyone can please help me... my brother has a 3.8 Grand Prix and drove my car today and said it has no power I want to feel the power that it’s supposed to make.. thanks in advance

·
Global Moderator
13,637 Posts
If the opti you bought was anything but a GM, Delco, or Delphi, it's junk. Even with oem reman optis, people get bad one's right out of the box.

It would also be a good idea to put car on an obd 1 scanner to read codes. Yes, even though your 95 has the 16 pin obd 2 type aldl, the computer system is obd 1. Paperclip trick to read codes doesn't work on 94 & newer cars.

You also need to do a running sensor scan to see what sensor data is saying.

·
Global Moderator
13,637 Posts
First of all, all AC-Delco, GM, & Delphi optis for sale are reman units. They're still the best of a sorry lot.

Most auto parts stores can get them for you. As well as Jegs & Summit Racing.

·
Global Moderator
13,637 Posts
It's time to get an obd 1 scanner that will connect to your pcm. Code reading is important as some major ignition codes doesn't light the check engine light. A running sensor scan will reveal much about the way engine is running.

Since you own a car with an opti, buy a $70 PC based oscilloscope. Learn to use it to check the low & high resolution pulses of opti. They should be nice well formed square waves with no drop outs, or deformed wave patterns.

When you changed plug wires, did you put the wires on the correct cylinders? I ask because opti cap doesn't have same cylinder line up as a sbc chevy distributor cap.

Have you misted the plug wires with some water and ran engine at night. This is to check for spark leakage.

You need to go to the following link to download the 95 service manual. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Start with battery. Make sure battery cables have good clean attachents at both ends. Use manual to check engine compartment grounds. Also check wire connectors that go to engine. You want good tight corrosion free connections. The opti pigtail is especially prone to having corroded, bent, & badly fitting pins. You can buy the opti pigtail on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.