LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 trans am, m6. I just noticed I don't have posi.? I have not seen or heard of a trans am not having posi. Is this rare. If I wanted to add one is it hard, or worth using my rear end. or should I upgrade the whole rear end.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Care to explain how you "just noticed" you don't have posi?

If the car only lays down one strip of rubber, then the posi probably is worn out. Auburn units use clutches inside the posi that wear out over time/mileage.

No V8 4th gens came w/o posi, so my bet is your's needs to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well, just getting the car about 1 month ago, and was going to get new tires. I did what anyone would do to finish off a pair of tires.. I was just practicing shifting, burning out, ect.. I only left one tire streak behind my car everytime. just didn't think they would leave this out of my car.. is there a rebuild kit, or do you have to buy a new posi?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 99 trans am and had the same problem.

When I looked in to it,I found out that it must have had some rearend problems at some time.

Whoever the owner had fix it just put in a reg-diff.

You have some choice's...

new auburn diff or a used one.......but if you are go'ing to put a lot of hp...go with a 9'' or a 12 bolt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i plan in about 6 months to get a procharger, I will only run around 6 psi.. you think a new auburn posi will work, or is it worth buying a new 9" (don't think I'll need a 12") I have seen new auburn's go on ebay for $250. how much would a 9" go for?

·
Registered
482 Posts
An aftermarket 9" will be in the same price range as an aftermarket 12-bolt. Neither is cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts