LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Traded for a 94 TA and drove home. Went out to start 15 minutes later and nothing, not even a flippin' backfire! So my friend and I pull #5 plug wire and "spark test" it. Nothing...dig around to find out my 94 has a crank sensor and a spare EVAP purge solenoid on the driver side of block by the coil/ICM..i find myself pulling the radiator/waterpump/balancer off...sure enough, a Vented Distributor cap with GM vacuum harness to the UIM. I pull the Opti and it has clover stlye cam gear. My engine is a 95-97 that uses crank trigger, which doesnt have pigtail, neither the spare evap solenoid. Could something be interfering computer/engine wise because of the computer or is it a bad opti? Because technically the hall-effect sensor in the distributor reads rotor movement to signal computer,thus powers the ICM and then Coil...Im getting spark thru the coil wire and have fuel pressure but dead plug wires which are brand new as of today also NGK iridium plugs. Opinions? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Recently Traded for a 94 TA and drove home. Went out to start 15 minutes later and nothing, not even a flippin' backfire! So my friend and I pull #5 plug wire and "spark test" it. Nothing...dig around to find out my 94 has a crank sensor and a spare EVAP purge solenoid on the driver side of block by the coil/ICM..i find myself pulling the radiator/waterpump/balancer off...sure enough, a Vented Distributor cap with GM vacuum harness to the UIM. I pull the Opti and it has clover stlye cam gear. My engine is a 95-97 that uses crank trigger, which doesnt have pigtail, neither the spare evap solenoid. Could something be interfering computer/engine wise because of the computer or is it a bad opti? Because technically the hall-effect sensor in the distributor reads rotor movement to signal computer,thus powers the ICM and then Coil...Im getting spark thru the coil wire and have fuel pressure but dead plug wires which are brand new as of today also NGK iridium plugs. Opinions? :confused:
Also a weak Coil?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Dear MG94TA, You state that your 94-97 motor uses a crank trigger,I dont think you
really have a crank trigger ignition, your ignition is a distributor style,only somewhat
more sophsticated than a regular distribiutor. The sensor that you have on the timing cover is a cam position sensor and I believe it was used on 96-97 motors only. I hope you were able to problem solve your no spark condition. ed

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
As Racy said the crank sensor on 96 & 97 cars is strictly for misfire identification. It's not attached because when last owner changed to newer engine, he didn't change to 96 or 97 obd2 pcm.

Quick test to see if pcm was changed over would be to look at your dlc connector, under the dash. 94 came with a 12 pin connector. 96 & 97 obd2 cars came with a 16 pin dlc. If last owner updated pcm and wiring, you would have the 16 pin dlc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts