LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the 97 Z28 with the engine removed due to low oil pressure. My plan was to rebuild it and put it back in. Then I found a sweet deal on a low mileage engine out of a 94.

I know I need to change out the timing cover so I can have the CPS. Which means I have to use the vented opti from the 97 so I'll have to swap out the pins in the camshaft. I also know I'll need to use the 97 hub and reluctor wheel.

Will I need to change out the timing set as well? Or will the one that's currently on the car work? Also, is there anything else I'll need to change? I'll be using the 97 harness so there will be no issues with the opti. I do have all the parts from the 97's engine, I just need to know what all I need to swap over onto the new engine.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the obd1 system done use the cps and the cover will fit right on.if the 94 is completely original then its most likely a opti 1 sytem.if youre opti 2 vented is fairly new and working well you can take it apart and swap the splinedrive out and install on the opti 2 and put back together.no5 sure what brand you have but when I changed my cam out I got the can for the opti 2 vented.the original gm optis worked well so jeep it and down the road you can rebuild it or have it done.i !lwats take a used or new one cap off and remover the rotor screws and loctite them in and on my opti 1 when I had it I also sealed around the opti to prevent water from gtn in from pump failure.mone is a 94 and im just now on my 3rd opti.2nd one failed #ue to rotor coming off inside the cap and damaged it.if you do take the rotor off and reinstall all you need to do is snug the 2 screws.if ya overnighter then they will and can bend or warp the thin timing plate inside causing premature failed especially if it rubs the sensor.ypu should've able to spin the rotor a d here no rubbing at all.if ya do hear some then screws r too tight.its kinda like overtighting the lug nuts on a front brake rotor as it will warp it and the timing plate inside the cap.my 94 uses the opti 2 vented now with cam change.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the obd1 system done use the cps and the cover will fit right on.if the 94 is completely original then its most likely a opti 1 sytem.if youre opti 2 vented is fairly new and working well you can take it apart and swap the splinedrive out and install on the opti 2 and put back together.no5 sure what brand you have but when I changed my cam out I got the can for the opti 2 vented.the original gm optis worked well so jeep it and down the road you can rebuild it or have it done.i !lwats take a used or new one cap off and remover the rotor screws and loctite them in and on my opti 1 when I had it I also sealed around the opti to prevent water from gtn in from pump failure.mone is a 94 and im just now on my 3rd opti.2nd one failed #ue to rotor coming off inside the cap and damaged it.if you do take the rotor off and reinstall all you need to do is snug the 2 screws.if ya overnighter then they will and can bend or warp the thin timing plate inside causing premature failed especially if it rubs the sensor.ypu should've able to spin the rotor a d here no rubbing at all.if ya do hear some then screws r too tight.its kinda like overtighting the lug nuts on a front brake rotor as it will warp it and the timing plate inside the cap.my 94 uses the opti 2 vented now with cam change.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. My car is OBD II and I'm not converting it to OBD I. So I need the CPS. I'll be using the 97 ECM and wiring harness. And I HAVE to use the 97 cover and vented opti. While I do appreciate your response, it really didn't answer any of my questions. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the 97 Z28 with the engine removed due to low oil pressure. My plan was to rebuild it and put it back in. Then I found a sweet deal on a low mileage engine out of a 94.

I know I need to change out the timing cover so I can have the CPS. Which means I have to use the vented opti from the 97 so I'll have to swap out the pins in the camshaft. I also know I'll need to use the 97 hub and reluctor wheel.

Will I need to change out the timing set as well? Or will the one that's currently on the car work? Also, is there anything else I'll need to change? I'll be using the 97 harness so there will be no issues with the opti. I do have all the parts from the 97's engine, I just need to know what all I need to swap over onto the new engine.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Evap System if you are keeping it is slightly different and of course the Exhaust Manifolds/Cats are improved on the 97.Beyond what you are doing with the CAM/OPTI, it appears good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts