LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I knew it was coming with 115k miles on it the Opti Spark went out.

It coincidentaly happened when I took the car in to have an oil leak checked.

So here is the quote I got:

$1400 which includes labor and 3 parts:

311.85 Module IC Distributor w/o ... (not sure what that is)
337.00 Distributor Cap
138.60 ICM

Does this sound about right? They are going to replace the front seal at the same time not sure how much more that will be.

I know it's a tough job but 700 in labor WOW any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Kelly

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
You can get a non-vented opti on clearance at Summit right now for <$200. Yours is a 94, right? Better hurry, though.

Why do you need an ICM if the opti is out?

A complete round seal kit for the timing cover is <$20.

Two water pump gaskets are the only other things needed to get to the opti. <$5.

Do the work yourself and save another $700.

You could get it all done for 1/6th of your quote.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with shoebox.
$1400 is extortion!

A couple guys I've raced with have replaced Opti's at the track without missing a round!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with shoebox.
$1400 is extortion!

A couple guys I've raced with have replaced Opti's at the track without missing a round!!
Do you know what those three parts are? He doesn't even call any of them an Opti spark.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get a non-vented opti on clearance at Summit right now for <$200. Yours is a 94, right? Better hurry, though.

Why do you need an ICM if the opti is out?

A complete round seal kit for the timing cover is <$20.

Two water pump gaskets are the only other things needed to get to the opti. <$5.

Do the work yourself and save another $700.

You could get it all done for 1/6th of your quote.
Well I called him back and yeah its 1400 for the front seal and the opti spark + ICM.

I probably wont be going back to this mechanic.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well I called him back and yeah its 1400 for the front seal and the opti spark + ICM.

I probably wont be going back to this mechanic.
DO NOT GO TO THAT EXTORTIONIST if your opti its out you don't need the icm... Or maybe its just your icm that's bad ... What's the symptoms

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DO NOT GO TO THAT EXTORTIONIST if your opti its out you don't need the icm... Or maybe its just your icm that's bad ... What's the symptoms

Well both needed to be replaced eventually.

The ICM went out and caused it to turn over but not start but the Opti was on the way out, the check engine codes have been telling me for months.

My real beef is that the Opti he is selling me seems extremely over priced and its not even original GM nor is it a modified one. It is only guaranteed for 13k friggin miles or 1 year. W T F.

Are they getting ripped off or are they just taking a 200% commission?

·
Global Moderator
13,567 Posts
Changing the opti is not rocket science. It involves removing cooling fans, to make more room. Serpentine drive belt, crank damper, water pump, spark plug wires etc. Once you have the opti off, the seals are looking right at you on the timing cover.

Even on the first try, you should be able to complete the job in 5 hours or less.

If you need a reference, download the 94 factory service manual located in 4th gen section. Look for thread titled "GM service manuals". However, this is an instance where a chilton or haynes manual might help you as they include step by step instructions while factory manual assumes you know how to work on cars. But download factory manual and use it as it's free.

Take advantage of the genuine GM opti for $200 at summit and jegs before they fly out the door and are no more. These are the last run of new GM optis.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changing the opti is not rocket science. It involves removing cooling fans, to make more room. Serpentine drive belt, crank damper, water pump, spark plug wires etc. Once you have the opti off, the seals are looking right at you on the timing cover.

Even on the first try, you should be able to complete the job in 5 hours or less.

If you need a reference, download the 94 factory service manual located in 4th gen section. Look for thread titled "GM service manuals". However, this is an instance where a chilton or haynes manual might help you as they include step by step instructions while factory manual assumes you know how to work on cars. But download factory manual and use it as it's free.

Take advantage of the genuine GM opti for $200 at summit and jegs before they fly out the door and are no more. These are the last run of new GM optis.
No tools and I live in a community were yanking out half of my engine would be seen as a bit crazy. Not that I mind but I don't even have half the tools.

The labor is not my main beef. The cost of the parts they are charging me for is my main concern. And the crap warranty on said over priced parts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
No tools and I live in a community were yanking out half of my engine would be seen as a bit crazy. Not that I mind but I don't even have half the tools.

The labor is not my main beef. The cost of the parts they are charging me for is my main concern. And the crap warranty on said over priced parts.
Go to a mechanic that would do it if you bring in the parts like coco said buy the opti GM from summit, seal.and gaskets if not then buy a 3/8 ratchet a 3 and 6in extensions, a 8,10,13,14,15,16, and 17 mm sockets and also a set of female torx sockets and save on labor and acquire tools you can buy cheap Chinese tools at harbors freight if they break get them exchange :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
look up White performance and machine, in kentucky I believe, got mine from them. Complete opti with cap and rotor and new wire harness was less than $100.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, White performance and machine 3353 East Stone Dr Kingsport, TN, 37660 They are also on ebay with there phone number too. Also, mine has 3 year warrantee and is all brass connections on the cap. good replacement

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry, White performance and machine 3353 East Stone Dr Kingsport, TN, 37660 They are also on ebay with there phone number too. Also, mine has 3 year warrantee and is all brass connections on the cap. good replacement
So I am guessing the:

311.85 Module IC Distributor w/o ... (not sure what that is)
337.00 Distributor Cap

That he quoted me is the Optispark??? http://shop.whiteperformance.com/CHEVY-95-97-LT1-OPTISPARK-DISTRIBUTOR-WPM-LT1-07-BK.htm

So he's charging me 648.85 for a 60 dollar part... nice.

I got robbed. Oh well live and learn.

·
Registered
49 Posts
$337 for a cap and rotor!? Jeeze.... When you can get a GM opti for $200 bucks.... If I had the extra dough I would get one as a spare in case my GM opti with a $50 ebay cap and rotor goes out.
Do you have any friends with tools that you could borrow perhaps? If not maybe you live close to someone on the forums and they can give you a hand? There's plenty of nice guys that would be happy to help you out on the forums... Just gotta find em'..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$337 for a cap and rotor!? Jeeze.... When you can get a GM opti for $200 bucks.... If I had the extra dough I would get one as a spare in case my GM opti with a $50 ebay cap and rotor goes out.
Do you have any friends with tools that you could borrow perhaps? If not maybe you live close to someone on the forums and they can give you a hand? There's plenty of nice guys that would be happy to help you out on the forums... Just gotta find em'..
$650 not 337 unless he quoted me something else besides the opti.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts