LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 94 rmw that got wrecked. It had some up grades including being reprogrammed. I've swapped everything other then The PCM. Can I switch the PCM from the 94 to the 96 without problems?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i thought we just answered this in another thread

yes it'll plug right in and work

you need to take the knock sensors with it (94-95 pcm needs 94-95 knock sensors)

your crank sensor, rear o2 sensors, and crankcase purge monitoring system will be inoperative after the swap, but you dont need to do anything about that, just leave them in place

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I worded stuff wrong and was just wanting to ask the same question in a b body forum. If the 96 PCM goes in the 94 will it still run?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
yes, the 96 pcm will "work" in your 94 car. it WILL throw codes for the missing crank position sensor, the ccp sensor, and rear o2s unless they're tuned out.

again, you must swap knock sensors

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might as well just have the 96 programmed. It'll help the 94 sell when I get the body back. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
74 Posts
94 PCM, OBD I. Trans should be Non PWM . Thus NOT sending the PWM signal, TCC lock up is manual.
95-96 PCM, OBD II. Trans is a PWM. PCM sends a signal to the TCC Solinoid to engage lock up.
If you run any combination, you will more than likely have an overheating issue which will reduce the life of your Transmission.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
94 PCM, OBD I. Trans should be Non PWM . Thus NOT sending the PWM signal, TCC lock up is manual.
95-96 PCM, OBD II. Trans is a PWM. PCM sends a signal to the TCC Solinoid to engage lock up.
If you run any combination, you will more than likely have an overheating issue which will reduce the life of your Transmission.
In other words, you can't just drop the '94 PCM into a '96....with no problems. If you could.....they wouldn't have made two separate units....

Jus' sayin' :rolleyes: .....

KW

·
Registered
38 Posts
What exactly does it take to swap a OBDI pcm and knock sensors into a 96 OBDII Impala ?
Where are the sensors located ?
I know of the one on the top of the intake manifold, but not where the second one is located.
I live in California so I will have to swap back every two years.
That’s why I would like to know how easy/difficult this is to do.
Thank You for any help you can offer.

·
Global Moderator
13,107 Posts
As stated by stevo the 94 pcm will plug right into the connectors of the 96. You will have to use the 94 knock sensors. They are screwed into the engine block. 1 on each side.

As Alt said, you are going to have an incompatability problem with the transmission. It's a pita but you really should use the 94 trans if going to the 94 pcm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts