LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not going to go straight into a turbo build but my question is more geared towards upgrading/tuning. I have a 93 lt1 and of course I want to go fast. now most of my experience comes with imports so please be gentle if I say something that doesn't apply here. anyways my car being a 93 has no maf. to my knowledge its a lot easier to turbo a car with a maf compared to a speed density tune cause the maf will sense higher airflow. but on my paths of upgrading will i have to get a fresh tune with each upgrade? or is there give in the system that will alow me to upgrade a few parts over time without going stupid? thanks ahead of time.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can pretty much get away safely with no tune, and bolt ons (exhaust, cold air intake, ignition ect.), but once you start touching the engine (heads, cam, intake ect.) or if you go with a turbo, you will definately have to get a tune to stay safe.

You can stay speed density (no MAF) or go with a MAF with a turbo. There are pros and cons to going either way, but both can be used and make the same power safely. As someone mentioned, at a certain point the MAF will be maxed out, but a good tuner can continue to adjust the PE tables and still get you an accurate tune. There is no maxing out a SD tune so that is an advantage. However the temp, pressure altitude, barometric pressure and all the other precise conditions the car was tuned at with the SD tune always change, while your SD tune will be whatever it was tuned at. So your car will not adjust for the changes in the conditions, whereas if you had a MAF tune, it would adjust for all of the changes, and in my opinion run better than an SD tune, so that's an advantage of going with a MAF tune.

FWIW, my car should makeat least 800 HP at the flywheel, and I will be running a MAF tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts