LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Hey Mitch,

I have no clue as to your question, but thanks for dropping in :D

There are some '93 F-body gurus around here like Fastbird that should be able to answer this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
WHat markings does it have an where?? Conveniently, I have my 93 M29 T-56 sitting on the garage floor and have something for comparison for ya.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything tell-tale on the outside of the tranny to differentiate between the 93 and 94+ models.....

Wait. Where's the drain plug on it??? All of the haynes manuals reflect the drain plug being on the side of the tranny above the fill port, but my 93 M29 tranny has the drain plug at the tailshaft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the internals?

The 1st gear has to be changed out as well to make a 93 trans like a 94+ and vice-versa ... correct?

The trans needs synchros and blocker rings and a steel shift fork (did the 93s come with that noodle type shift fork?) to be 100%. I didn't pay but a tick over $500 for it ...

·
Registered
330 Posts
mitchntx said:
What about the internals?

The 1st gear has to be changed out as well to make a 93 trans like a 94+ and vice-versa ... correct?

The trans needs synchros and blocker rings and a steel shift fork (did the 93s come with that noodle type shift fork?) to be 100%. I didn't pay but a tick over $500 for it ...
The 93's had two different tranny's, and the 94+ were all the same. Internally, save for the gearing differences, they should be relatively the same.

Check out the following thread link for the gear ratios:

http://www.speeddensity.org/showthread.php?t=679

If I remember correctly, the M28 was rated at 350 Ft/Bl, M29 was rated at 400 Ft/lb, and 94+ was rated at 450 ft/lb, or thereabouts. Granted they're just ratings and all have seen MUCH more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're still having problems ID'ing it try this:

Mark the input shaft so you can tell when it's made exactly One Revolution. Mark the Tailshaft as well. Put the Trans in 1st gear.

An M28 would turn 3.31 (about 3 1/3 turns) tailshaft rpms to one input shaft rpm. It is rated for 360 lbs/ft.

The M29 would turn 2.97 to 1 (about 3 turns). Rated for 400 lbs/ft.

The newer NM6 would spin just over 2 1/2~2 3/4 at the Tailshaft. It's rated for 440~450 lbs/ft from the factory.

Does'nt have to be exact. Have someone slowly turn the input shaft while watching the tail. You will know.
Again this is in 1st gear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts