LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 firebird formula were trying to restore and have some weird issues cant figure out on both doors at the bottom towards the back of the car towards the quarter panels there is like a slight gap like the bottom edge of the doors bows out a little not a whole lot but noticable its really weird are they warped or is this normal we replaced one of the doors and its exactly the same on the old door and new door if this isint normal how do we fix it please help thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I heard of this for the first time from one of my neighbors the other day. He said it does happen to some fbody cars. Compress the seams back together with some c clamps and weld it back together. He worked in a shop and saw this happen to a few of our cars. Or simply replace the door.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
4th gen doors are plastic, no welding as it is thermo set plastic and can't be plastic welded.

If door skin is separated from frame either epoxy or urethane adhesive can get it back together. Clamp it while adhesive sets.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
I have a few extra parts, but mostly I've collected what I need to restore my 95.

I check craigslist on a daily basis to find parts. I use SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search. to search craigslist, as it makes it much easier. I use the direct results mode and go out 250, which is the limit of how far I'm willing to drive to get a major part.

The secret of finding reasonably priced 4th gen parts is to search every day, be patient as a deal will come along.

Then grab it quick, cause if you know it's a deal, other people will also.

Next thing is to ask people if they have anything else they haven't listed. You'd be surprised at what you will find.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks coco but the door seam isint splitits just like a weird gap were the bottom of the bows out a. Little bottom by the quarter panel its weird ive allready changed the door on drivers side and still the same. Also any one know how to get the plastic headlight filler to stop rubbing on the fender tried adjusting but still thanks

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Fender can be adjusted also. Sometimes a problem like headlight cover not fitting can be an indicator of an alignment problem between body parts caused by damage.

So check and see if headlight bar, or any of its mounting points or brackets are bent. I've never removed a headlight bar so I don't know if there's any adjustment possible for the assembly pieces.

If you remove a few mounting bolts, you can check the mounting brackets. If they have regular round bolt holes they can't be adjusted. But if holes in brackets are oblong, there is adjustment built in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts