LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 firebird with a pcm of the matching year that I am currently rebuilding from the ground up. The engine is out and I need a new transmission anyway so I think It would be a good idea to change the, arguably, annoying chip pcm to a 95 Pcm out of a camero. What all would I have to do to make everything line up? Cameros and firebird parts are all interchangeable so I don't see a problem with using the pcm

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
You will need the complete 95 engine/trans wiring harness.. You will need to go to following link & download the 93 & 95 factory service manuals to do a wire by wire check of electrical system. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

One difference I know for sure is the theft deterrent module ( TDM ) the 93 uses a tdm with a 30 hertz square wave signal to ECM. The 95 uses a 50 hertz TDM. The motor won't run without the 95 TDM.

If your car is automatic, you will need to get a 95 4L60E as any other year will cause compatibility issues.

Don't throw away the 93 ECM & wire harness. The 93 ECM is a 1 year only deal. Supply is limited & prices are high.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need the complete 95 engine/trans wiring harness.. You will need to go to following link & download the 93 & 95 factory service manuals to do a wire by wire check of electrical system. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

One difference I know for sure is the theft deterrent module ( TDM ) the 93 uses a tdm with a 30 hertz square wave signal to ECM. The 95 uses a 50 hertz TDM. The motor won't run without the 95 TDM.

If your car is automatic, you will need to get a 95 4L60E as any other year will cause compatibility issues.

Don't throw away the 93 ECM & wire harness. The 93 ECM is a 1 year only deal. Supply is limited & prices are high.

Well I have 2 93s haha, I'm need to rebuild the trans, how would I tell a shop to rebuild a trans the correct way? (I have two transmissions one is a 93 the other is un known)

Also, how would I go about doing the wire by wire check? Is that covered in the manual?

(thank you very much, this has been a big
wrench in my works)

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
The 93 trans won't work with the 95 PCM & wiring. The unknown trans can be identified by a trans rebuilder. There is a code stamed into the flange area of trans that will show year & partial serial number of car it was in from factory.

If you lived in central Florida, I could recommend a good trans rebuilder. Unfortunately for the reat of country I am clueless.

Section 88 of the service manuals have all the wiring diagrams. You need to compare 93 against the 95 fuel injection wiring diagrams. They show where each wire comes from and goes to. You also need to check the instrument cluster wiring diagrams to see if 93 & 95 are the same.

Your task is not one for the noobie mechanic to undertake..

I believe the best course of action to take would be to rebuild the 700r4 in the 93. Or buy another 87-93 700r4 to go into car. The 700r4 was not locked into 1 or 2 specific years that would work. Just make sure you get a 700r4 from a v8 car. As v6 cars had a different bolt up pattern than v8 cars. Also v6 trans were much lighter duty 700r4's than v8 700r4.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.