LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the fun begin, I just bought a wrecked 95 firebird and planning on swapping it into my 92 convertible. Also going to swap the rear out to get disc breaks. Should be a great winter project.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got the engine out of the bird this weekend and stripped down. still need to pull the wiring and pcm. anybody know if I will need any of the interior wiring or bcm for the swap. I am trying to get rid of the car asap, don't need the neighbors complaining about junk in the driveway.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds like a cool project man! Definitely post pics of the build! What kinda trans you gonna run with it?

·
Global Moderator
12,970 Posts
I'm afraid the 4th gen rear is a different width than 3rd gen. It might give some problems. I forget which gen rear is wider

You could end up with either back tires sticking way out. Or you would have them way in and rubbing on inner fender wells.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 4th gen rear is 1.75" wider on each side 3.5 total, it appears that the tires will still tuck in the fenderwells, I am going to mock it up and see what I think. If I dont like the look, I will have to rebuild my rear (pinion noise) and try to swap the disc brakes over. I really like the rims I have so I want to reuse them plus saves $$. gonna replace the tires with some 255 series so I will buy them before the mock up

·
Global Moderator
12,970 Posts
I put 4th gen wheels on the back of by 3rd gen a while back. Because of the back spacing of the 4th gen wheels, I had to use wheel spacers so inside of wheel wouldn't rub the inner fender well.

Can't say how 4th gen rims will fit on the front of car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a little more done over the weekend, removed the rear, the fuel tank and the wiring from the bird. It is now in the driveway heading for the scrap yard. I also got the motor and trans pulled from the Camaro, gonna clean the engine bay up and paint while the motor is out, planning a color change. I will be visiting my parents this weekend so the project will be on hold for a couple weeks

·
Registered
495 Posts
cool you should post some pictures of the progress

·
Global Moderator
12,970 Posts
If you do a color change please paint the door jambs, under the hood, engine compartment, and hatch area.

Nothing says "rice" like a beautifully painted car, showing another color when doors, etc are open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as the previous post said while I have the engine pulled, I and going to clean the engine bay and paint. trust me it will be done right

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
been spending most of my time cleaning and prepping for paint. Going to start priming and cutting in today. the engine is stripped down to bare essentials and last weekend I got rid of the doer car, making progress very slowly

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts