LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris89gta came over yesterday and we worked on installing my Ford 9".

The Moser directions for the 9" housing & axles clearly says put your brake backing plates on first before pressing the bearings on. Well they sent some backing plates that were open on one end (like a "C") that didn't look like they needed to go on first, because they just slip on later. So went out to a friend's house Sat PM and used his press to get the bearings on the axles.

I got the center section bolted in, clearanced one of the strengthening ribs for the tq arm mount and got that bolted on, then got the car in the air to start to pull the 10 bolt and started pulling the brake stuff to swap over. Then I realize the axles have to come out so I can get the disc brake backing plates off....doesn't occur to me these were the plates that were supposed to be put on the axles before the bearings went on. DUH!!

We got the 10 bolt out from under the car. I go to put the axles in the 9" and duh, the wheel bearing won't go through the disc brake plate....because its supposed to already be on the axle.

The friend with the press took the the stuff back home but his press couldn't get the bearings off. So I'm going to have to find some time to take that stuff to some kind of shop.

The Moser instructions SUCKED, and the "C" backing plates just confused me. I give Moser an F on their instructions. It doesn't help that when you order a compelete rear they supply the backing plates for 93-97 cars....well, apparently when you buy their housing/axles kit only you don't get the plates.

So I'm dead in the water for the time being...the rear is 50% assembled and is under the car ready to be bolted in, can put the axles in later.

The only other thing I need is the 1350/1344 conversion u-joint for the driveshaft, assuming the driveshaft isn't too long or anything. I just ordered a U-joint from Billingsley, hopefully it will be here by Saturday.

Oh, and another fun thing, the splines in the front yoke of the driveshaft are bent slightly...it didnt' want to come off the trans. The Trans output shaft seems to be OK though. But this worries me. Not going to be able to take advantage of the 9" or the Street twin if I have to worry about destroying a driveshaft. And if I get a whole new driveshaft built will the trans break then? What's the point of having a 1350 ujoint on the rear if the front ujoint is still 1344?

Considering ordering a Strange Steel DS from Billingsley just to eliminate the stock DS as a weak spot.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wanna talk about a pain in the ass, try building a 9" from scratch with an old stock ford rear end. I had to make all kinds of brackets including caliper brackets and the ones for the z bars and transfer the 10 bolt brackets to the 9.

The bearings shouldn't be too hard to get off if you have a bearing seperator, some people call it a "knife". The only problem is having a press tall enough to stick the whole axle in it. I'm sure there is a shop somewhere with a press tall enough.

And yes yer trans will go next. lol I found that out friday night. Something in the tailshaft broke on me, I'm hoping just a bearing. Good luck!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the axles, backing plates and driveshaft + conversion Ujoint are all at the gear guy's place now. I'll be picking all that up tonight and starting final install on the 9" tomorrow night.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
WHOHOO... that thing is almost too pretty to put in the car!!!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its already scratched up some from the install thus far. I'll have to hit it with some touch up paint before dropping the car to the ground.

I'm pleased to have the nasty rusty 10 bolt out of there though.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can't wait to see it! Maybe you'll finally show yourself the next time I'm in NashVegas, lol

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CamTom12 said:
I can't wait to see it! Maybe you'll finally show yourself the next time I'm in NashVegas, lol
If you're lucky ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
NXSLT1 said:
The bearings shouldn't be too hard to get off if you have a bearing seperator, some people call it a "knife". The only problem is having a press tall enough to stick the whole axle in it. I'm sure there is a shop somewhere with a press tall enough.

big friggon pipe, hammer..

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually with a 12 ton harbor freight press and a gigantic bearing separator we couldn't get them off, and broke the bearing separator, press started to bend, etc. So its a job for a pro now IMO.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Did they weld the bearings to the axles?? lol

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That same press put them on...I was the one that did it. They were really damn hard to get on to say the least.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
CamTom12 said:
That Chris is so hot right now, lol

Whoa whoa whoa... whoa... whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa... whoa whoa whoa... thats not my batman glass...

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Almost done guys. I'll get a couple of pictures.

We'd be done right now if I hadn't stripped a sway bar bushing bolt. Once I get it cut off and a new one on, then I'll fill the rear with fluid and it will be done.

Oh, and the stock DS with the conversion u-joint DID fit. I think because I went with the short pinion yoke.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can't wait to get mine. Except I am going to try and Frankenstein mine together.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
yup... that looka like a 9" :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts