LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while at the drags I noticed many cars use the ford 9" rear, GM, FORD , a lot of others also, even the IMPORT guys use it, where would drag racing be if ford back in 1957 had NOT decided to make a stronger rear axle assembly, its a pretty old unit by design, I see today custom fabbed units but copying the basic designs, just thinking it must have been ahead of its time for 1957. so much for trivia . RON

·
Registered
57 Posts
They'd be using Dana's. Dana's are definately stronger, but a helluva lot heavier, and sucks up even more power than the 9" does. I think even the 12 bolt isn't a bad unit, asctually it's pretty damn strong, just not up to the weight that most "10 sec street cars" are. I love my 9" too!~!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
12 bolts are great, just like Tim said, not really up to the mega hp cars, or stick shift cars with grabby clutches. The Dana is very strong and also quite a bit more expesive than a 9"

The great thing about the 9" is that there are dozens upon dozens of gear sets available, center sections, housings, etc. etc. Its like small block chevy parts interchangeability.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I love how you can just bolt in a new chunk... Very easy for non-gear guys like me :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts