LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have an 88 Firebird with a 305 5spd. I am replacing the valve stem seals, and I have a question. On cylinder #1 I have the motor at TDC, spark plug out, and shop air being used to keep the valves from dropping. I installed new intake and exhaust seals, and I got the spring, retainer, and keepers back on with the rocker arm nut threaded on. with shop air still on, i tighted down the rocker nut on each valve under I could no longer spin the push rod. At that point, I gave it an additional half turn. Now when I did this I noticed that i could hear air blowing by the valve i was working on. Is this normal? I would have thought that the valves would remain closed as I tightened it down the extra half turn, but as soon as I did that I could hear air blowing by.

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
I believe you have over tightened the valves and they are slightly open.

When in doubt use the red neck valve adjustment method. When you put each cylinder's valves back together, leave them slightly loose. After putting all cylinders back together, start at cylinder #1.

Crank engine and and let idle until warm. Tighten each rocker nut until clatter stops. Turn nut 1/8 to 1/4 more. That valve is adjusted.

Go to next valve until all are done. Clean up any spattered oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts