LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do an engine swap in my old 87 silverado 2WD truck. I've decided I want to go with the 5.3L because that's what people are getting the best gas mileage with. However, as we all know, there is always room for improvement on factory stuff. What kind of power can I make with the 5.3L, without sacrificing any gas mileage? And what mods should I use?

I'm thinking a full exhaust system (including headers) would free up some power and maybe even a little MPG. But what else?

·
Registered
494 Posts
honestly turbo it. you can have a 1000hp monster with still getten 20+ on the highway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long is that thing gonna last though? I'm looking to do a reliability build. Plus its going in an old 87 silverado pickup truck. Something to haul the bass boat to the lake. Not really meant to be a racer. Although, I will consider doing that for my firebird.:D

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Free flowing air inlet and exhaust will improve power. To maintain fuel efficiency, you'll have to tune it to optimize efficiency.

Should be an improvement in both power and fuel efficiency over the factory 350.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts