LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally drove my car yesterday after converting it from the 4L60E to the 4L80E. The conversion went pretty good with not much modification or fabrication needed. Still have some transmission tuning to do but...wow what a different animal it is. It shifts so solid and strong it doesn't even compare to the 60.

I did a complete rebuild myself, this was the first time doing the 80. I have done a few 60's before but the 80 is sooo much easier to rebuild and cheaper. I want to thank Dynamic396, Slow67, and Jake's Performance for their help with parts and advice.

Once I get some miles and the tuning is complete it's track time.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
The 4L80E is basically a TH400 with overdrive and lockup torque converter added, and electronic control. So, yes, 4-speed.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
"...a lot..." is probably an overstatement.

If you have a 4L60E optimized and just swap in a 4L80E, you'll see some reduction in power due to the increased rotating mass, and probably slight ET increase due to lower numerical 1st gear and increased mass going down the track.

But, the reason to put in a 4L80E is it will stay together under power loads that would eventually kill a 4L60E. And, if you have any smarts, you'll optimize the combination for the way the 4L80E operates.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Badass man. What converter you running?
Edge Racing 4000

The 4l80e is not much bigger than the 60 and as far as rotational mass the same. Also, there are build technics and parts to help overcome some of that. Some claim better ET's due to the less RPM drop between gears with the 4l80e.

five7kid nailed it for the reasons I swapped though.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
I'm watching you....
2,918 Posts
Mystery did you have to run special torque converter for the 80e to work with the lt1 flexplate?

·
I'm watching you....
2,918 Posts
Is that the only option? Obliviously it's the best option if buying new. Did you go single or triple disk?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Is that the only option? Obliviously it's the best option if buying new. Did you go single or triple disk?
If you are sticking with a 153 tooth flexplate then yes, thats your only option.

Otherwise, you can step up to the 168 tooth flexplate which also means aftermarket starter, and then you can have the larger 80e pattern, and smaller 60e pattern. Also means billet flexplate options open up.

I run a FTI triple disk small pattern for a 153 tooth flexplate.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mystery Bird, I am getting ready to do this to my Camaro, And I am having a HECK of a time findin out info on the resetting of the shift solenoid settings. could you elaborate on that, or PM me, Please?? I have a licensed version of Tuner Pro RT, I kind of understand, but either I have the wrong mask or the wrong bin??? I have EFILive as well and do understand it, thought that this would be easer. it feels a lot like going from WINDOWS 7 to DOS, LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts