LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Corvette with just about 600 hp at the tires , I had my 4l60e rebuild to a level 3 should handle 700 hp so I was told , my tranny shifts very good 1st to 2nd and 3rd at part throttle, but at WOT 1st to 2nd is a very good shift, but 2nd to 3rd , sometime it will hold third and sometime it will not

what do you think it could be ?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Failed 3-4 clutch...

How did they stack the 3-4 clutch for a "Level 3"? Do you know...?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Was it built by a 4L60E specialty shop, or just a shop that built you a 4L60E? The reason I ask is because there are numerous 'performance" parts available for the 4L60E that actually hurt the transmissions performance and lifespan. A big contributer to 3-4 clutch failure is actually the "performance" clutch kits many use, without knowing any better. Alto 9 clutch stacks and the Raybestos Z Pak 3-4s have serious problems with the steels warping because they make them too thin, in order to jam 9 clutches in the same space that 6 came out of.
I also has to do with pressure and shift timing. We make MANY modifications to get the 3-4 clutches on quicker for the 2-3 shift. I'd be curious to see what parts and build thoughts this place puts into their "Level 3".

Frank

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Was it built by a 4L60E specialty shop, or just a shop that built you a 4L60E? The reason I ask is because there are numerous 'performance" parts available for the 4L60E that actually hurt the transmissions performance and lifespan. A big contributer to 3-4 clutch failure is actually the "performance" clutch kits many use, without knowing any better. Alto 9 clutch stacks and the Raybestos Z Pak 3-4s have serious problems with the steels warping because they make them too thin, in order to jam 9 clutches in the same space that 6 came out of.
I also has to do with pressure and shift timing. We make MANY modifications to get the 3-4 clutches on quicker for the 2-3 shift. I'd be curious to see what parts and build thoughts this place puts into their "Level 3".

Frank
That's exactly where I was going with that...

I, too, see it all the time where guys use the Alto 9 disc kit or the Raybestos Z-Pak, thinking that they're going with a "max effort" setup, when in reality, they've just doomed their transmission in many applications. Like Frank said, in order to get that many frictions and steels into the stock drum, they all end up being so thin that they won't take any heat. They then begin to warp, and then they drag when disengaged, generating even more heat...

In order to build a 3-4 clutch that will perform well and last, you have to use the right equipment in the drum (more is not necessarily better here) and then make the appropriate pressure and shift timing mods to get the clutch applied quickly enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had it built by Mad Dog (www.maddogtransmission.com) if you guys have ever heard of them It doesnt do it all the time thats the funny thing , I can drive the car all day long and drives fine shifts good , But at wot sometimes it will act up and sometimes it wont, Is there any one that does 4l60e tuning ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is what they did to my 4l60e Features
  • -all new lip seals
  • -all new gaskets
  • -new filter
  • -all new steels
  • -all new bushings
  • -all new raybestos clutches
  • -new 29 element hardened, double-gauged input sprag
  • -corvette servo
  • -updated, rebuilt pump kit
  • -hardened pump rings
  • -10 vane rotor pump
  • -new slider
  • -new guide
  • -new pump vanes
  • -hardened sun shell
  • -500 boost valve
  • -valve body reprogramming kit
  • -wide pro-series band
  • -teflon-coated front pump bushing
  • -aluminum accumulators with heavy-duty accumulator springs
  • -special 3/4 clutch pack which will alow you to add at least 3 to 4 more clutches
  • -sonnax high performance, wide-open throttle valve (WOT)
  • -raybestos Z-Pak
  • -sonnax reverse boost valve
  • -new shift solenoids
  • -new force motor
  • -new pressure manifold
  • -new TCC solenoid

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Not trying to disheaten you, but I'm VERY familiar with Mad Dog transmissions. That build list leaves ALOT to be desired. I see they list the Z-Pak 3-4s... There's your problem. It may be occassional now but it will continue to get worse.

Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks cahall the tranny is only a little over a year old maybe 1000 miles on it been on the dyno but not on the track.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not trying to disheaten you, but I'm VERY familiar with Mad Dog transmissions. That build list leaves ALOT to be desired. I see they list the Z-Pak 3-4s... There's your problem. It may be occassional now but it will continue to get worse.

Frank
I agree 100% with Frank on this.

Frank probably has more direct experience with Mad Dog's builds being on the east coast (I'm on the west coast), but the stuff on that list certainly won't hold 700hp. Corvette servo...? Z-Pak...? I don't think so...

You'll drive right through a Z-Pak if you truly are making 600hp at the wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts