LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my transmission to a tranny shop tomorrow morning to have him look at it. Basically under WOT my transmission appears to attempt to shift but around 5000 rpm or so it feels as if it goes into neutral. The rpm's just rise instantly as if no gear is selected to the rev limiter. This also happens for the 2-3 shift under WOT. Any ideas? Under normal conditions it appears to shift normally. (Or at least what I think is normal) I'll attach an older video but it doesn't show the problem quite like I would like to.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm confused... Is this a video of your car? In the video, that was a no 1-2 shift situation. You're talking about a no 2-3 shift situation.

Either way, I've given my professional opinion... Others seem to disagree. More power to them...

I'm out...

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
Sometimes members disagree, but we always value your diagnosis dynamic396. You set me straight about relying on the GM service manual as the knowledge source for these cars. I'll be the first to admit, that while I can rebuild a 700r4 or 4l60e, that diagnosing one has never been my main interest. So I used the GM manual and got it wrong. I personally will leave serious trans diagnosis to you, as you know these units inside and out, and how they function, as well as why they fail.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Sometimes members disagree, but we always value your diagnosis dynamic396. You set me straight about relying on the GM service manual as the knowledge source for these cars. I'll be the first to admit, that while I can rebuild a 700r4 or 4l60e, that diagnosing one has never been my main interest. So I used the GM manual and got it wrong. I personally will leave serious trans diagnosis to you, as you know these units inside and out, and how they function, as well as why they fail.
Isn't this what I tried to tell you? You have to actually understand and know how they work to be able to diagnose them. Just repeating what you read and swearing it's a fact is NOT the correct method. I don't understand the chip on your shoulder that makes you want to argue with those that actually do this for a living. There will always be different opinions about how to build a 4L60E. Dynamic396 and I don't agree on everything, but I respect his approach as a professional, experienced builder. The thread that you banned me in has been forwarded to the administrator of this group. You tried to prove a proffesional builder wrong from something you read. I've been building transmissions for 23 years. I was inside 4L60Es before most people even knew what they were. If you want to see what I do, pick up the November issue of GM High Tech. Sometimes it's better to listen to professionals. We're here to help board members, not to have a pissing contest. I pointed out what you were wrong about. What would have happened if that member had followed your incorrect advice and only changed his converter? He'd still have the same issue and had wasted alot of hard work and money. With this being said, I will now address the O/P question.

Frank

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
What condition is the fluid in? Is it dark or does it smell burnt? From what you're explaining it sounds like the 2-4 band and 3-4 clutches are on their way out. You may have just enough left for them to apply gently, but not under WOT.

Frank

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah haha this is an old thread now. For those wondering wnat it was I blew the tranny and lost 3 and 4 gear. Just got it built to handle 600hp for $1,900 and it shifts amazing. Only problem is I blew my engine on my second run. Spun a bearing or bent pushrod I believe. Its knocking and oil pressure drops to 0 when warm. Just my luck haha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
Cahall, the whole time I was asking you why GM would say the converter would cause the problem. Dynamic396 answered my question, without coping an aditude. All you would have had to say was that GM doesn't always get it right and I would have been satisified. Instead you kept asking me why. I do not rebuild 700r4 or 4l60e transmissions as a living, but I have successfully rebuilt over 40 of them over the years with 0 returns. I do not have all the trouble shooting answers, nor do I know the workings of the 700r4 trans family by heart. Since this is not the first forum you've been banned from, I am not the only person you have had a problem with.

I don't care who is right or wrong, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TREAT ANY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM WITH DISRESPECT, I don't care how many of your buttons we push. I'm putting you on notice that any future disrespect will earn you a perminant ban.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Cahall, the whole time I was asking you why GM would say the converter would cause the problem. Dynamic396 answered my question, without coping an aditude. All you would have had to say was that GM doesn't always get it right and I would have been satisified. Instead you kept asking me why. I do not rebuild 700r4 or 4l60e transmissions as a living, but I have successfully rebuilt over 40 of them over the years with 0 returns. I do not have all the trouble shooting answers, nor do I know the workings of the 700r4 trans family by heart. Since this is not the first forum you've been banned from, I am not the only person you have had a problem with.

I don't care who is right or wrong, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TREAT ANY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM WITH DISRESPECT, I don't care how many of your buttons we push. I'm putting you on notice that any future disrespect will earn you a perminant ban.
If you look back, you will see that I DID explain that a converter has no idea what gear the trans is in. And I also stated that a bad converter will cause a "no movement" condition, which in turn means no 2-3 upshift, but it also means no shifts. We know by now that others see your posts and threats as nothing more than an authority trip. Just because you're a moderator doesn't give you the right to post the wrong info as if you really know what you're talking about. I have an issue with people handing out bad info in forums, rather they're a moderator or not. Crap like that is what makes other members follow bad advice. You're NOT a transmission builder. You're just someone who has built a couple transmissions. There's a huge difference. I asked you several times to explain how a torque converter would allow a 1-2 shift but no 2-3 shift. You couldn't answer that because you don't know.
If I go on a forum, looking for information about something other than transmissions, I know I certainly don't want to get the wrong info from someone just because they're a moderator. I build more transmissions in 2 months than you have in your life. Ban me if you want, but do everyone here a favor. Leave this post up so all the members looking for the correct information will know and understand that this was nothing more than a blatant abuse of power on your part. What is more important to this forum..Your ego or the members? And, yes it does matter who was right and who was wrong. Ask your members.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Xzauhst, Glad to hear you got the problem straightened out.

Frank

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Xzauhst, Glad to hear you got the problem straightened out.

Frank
Thank you. Now all I need is a new engine to go along with it haha

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Where are you located? We've got a great engine builder in New Jersey. He has the engine out of our '01 Vette right now. He builds incredible stuff.

Frank

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in long island. I won't be able to bring the car there, so I'd rather do it here. Especially when I need the car done asap

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I buy all my torque converters from protorque, which is in Long Island.`You're also in Scott Shafiroffs neck of the woods. We have one of Shafiroffs 434s going in our '70 Camaro for next season.

Frank

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never heard of him. I'm looking for something under $4,000 if possible. I got an offer for $3,600 to install a factory lt1. Does he do anything like that for that price? I'd rather put in a new engine that build the broken one.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Scott Shafiroff is one of the countries top engine builders. They have a Pro Mod car. We bought the engine for the '70 before we found the other guy. I'm pretty sure our guy could hook you up with a nice rebuild.

Frank

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
We know by now that others see your posts and threats as nothing more than an authority trip. Just because you're a moderator doesn't give you the right to post the wrong info as if you really know what you're talking about.
You're not the only one that has stated this, not to single out Coco (who is an outstanding guy) but many Moderators here. Other examples such as this has really driven me away from this forum, which is a shame because obviously others feel the way I do.

If Cahall was really banned for this then that's a major loss to this forum. I don't care if he's a dick or not, he has some great information and is more than willing to help. He's helped me numerous times during his short time being a member. He's been willing to take time out of his busy day to give me good information and troubleshoot some of my transmission issues. He may seem harsh, but I believe he's here to help.

Anyway, yes, I came here to post just that. Now goodbye again!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You're not the only one that has stated this, not to single out Coco (who is an outstanding guy) but many Moderators here. Other examples such as this has really driven me away from this forum, which is a shame because obviously others feel the way I do.

If Cahall was really banned for this then that's a major loss to this forum. I don't care if he's a dick or not, he has some great information and is more than willing to help. He's helped me numerous times during his short time being a member. He's been willing to take time out of his busy day to give me good information and troubleshoot some of my transmission issues. He may seem harsh, but I believe he's here to help.

Anyway, yes, I came here to post just that. Now goodbye again!
I can be harsh at times, but that mostly stems from a novice trying to discount something I'm trying to get accross. I don't always have all the answers either. If I'm going to show passion about an arguement, I usually base what I'm saying on facts. I try not to argue about opinions or beliefs. Damn, didn't think I had been a "dick" to anyone in this forum, though...LOL I'm really a very nice guy.

Frank

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Meh, ppl don't like me here too much on here so don't feel bad. The thing is I'm a really nice guy as well. In fact, even though I know I've had some good arguments on here with other members I know that everyone here is good people. I just hate to see a good member get banned for silly reasons. Seems like a bad trend around here.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Meh, ppl don't like me here too much on here so don't feel bad. The thing is I'm a really nice guy as well. In fact, even though I know I've had some good arguments on here with other members I know that everyone here is good people. I just hate to see a good member get banned for silly reasons. Seems like a bad trend around here.
I am going to ban you for not providing more Ihop burnouts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts