LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 4l60 in my 97 z71 pickup recently lost second gear. I have a chance at a free 4l60 from a 2000 chevy z71 with the 5.3. I understand that the bellhousing will bolt up with the exception of one bolt. Does anyone here know if I can get make the flex plate and TC work. Also, is it possible to hook the wiring up and make it work with the 1997 computer? I am open to splicing harnesses if I can find pinout diagrams to get the wires right. I just want to make sure it is actually possible before I start pulling things.

·
Vendor
283 Posts
Cannot be done and the electrical is not the issue its the converter pilot its to long , Now while I have seen people machine it shorter its very iffy wither there is enough meat there to do it if not you ruined the converter. The 97 and the 2000 electronics however are the same just FYI
Frank @ performabuilt

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You would need to change the stator support, input shaft and bell housing to use the 2000 transmission with a 298mm converter (like the one your '97 uses). That would be the easiest way to accomplish what you're asking. The electronics, as stated, are the same.

The '97 also uses a one-piece case, where the '98 and newer use the two-piece case. You CAN put a 2-piece case in place of a one-piece, but you'll need the correct transfer case adapter (the long one, with 6 bolts on each end), and you'll have to massage the cooler lines a little bit.

If it were me, I'd rebuild the one you've already got...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, the transmission was bolt in except for the converter pilot and the bolt holes in the 1997 flex plate were just a little closer together than the holes on the 2000 converter. I milled the end of the pilot off which was hollow, so I had to weld a plug to fill the new shorter end. Also the pilot indexes to the crank with a small ridge around it. Shortening the pilot removed that ridge so I welded several "buttons" around the outside of the end and milled them down to spec so the pilot would sit dead center in the crank when installed. I hogged out the 3 bolt holes in the 1997 flex plate and the rest was simply bolt on. I used my 1997 transfer case, dipstick tube and driveshafts. The truck drives quite well. Yes I know its all wrong wrong wrong, but it was free and it works. My only concern is that I wonder if I should have used the dipstick and tube from the 2000. I noticed after install that the dipsticks are of slight different length, but I did not compare the tubes to see if they were eifferent too. I will check on this.

Edit,

I should also note that there was NOT enough meat to shorten the pilot on my converter. I had to remove maybe 1/2 inch and the material was only 1/8 inch thick. I used a high power vacuum to keep milling flakes out of the converter. Definately an abnormal way to go about a tranny swap, but the truck was a beater farm truck, and it worked.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You're aware that a converter is a very precise piece that is high speed balanced, right? It's just a prediction, but I'm going to say that you're going to have a hell of a vibration problem.

Frank

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately i did not take pictures. It was not a very technical process, just removed 1/2" or so.

There is no vibration. The metal added was at center mass so it didnt affect the balance. My concern about the torq converter was that a stray metal flakes might get inside it. The powerful vacuum I think kept that from happening. Truck is going strong so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts