LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot on here about 383 stroker applications and head and cam applications i just want an opinion on what you guys think of this application i have picked out....my compression ratio should be 10.75.1 keep in mind i want to run pump fuel so i dont want to go to crazy with my compression ratio.

Heads:trickflow Bottem end:
Intake runner:195CC crank:eagle forged 3.75 stroke .30 over
Exhaust runner:75CC pistons: mahle -5cc forgerd
Combustion chamber:62CC Rods:6.000 H beam

intake manifold:edelbrock preformer RPM air gap
throttle body:58mm holly
Rocker arms: 1.6.1 non self aligning comp cams.
Fuel injectors:36#per hour accel

Camshaft:Comp Cams 292XFI HR13
Duration:intake:292
Duration exhaust:300
lobe seperation:113 degrees
Valve lift exhaust:.579
Valve life intake:.584

That is over all the main components i guess what i am asking is some opinions: and some improvements if anyone has any ideas

Thanks guys,:LS1LT1flag:

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can run compressions well into the 12's with a good tune. No need to limit yourself. Many guys are doing it including my self.

I would also just have a set of stock heads ported by LE or AI. Those Trickflow's are nothing to brag about.

Do not go with the Edelbrock intake. The stock manifold flows much better.

Your cam choice is fine with me, but you will get alot of grief over shelf grinds from guys. It also maybe to big for what you are doing with the car since you do not specify. Custom grinds maybe what you might think of doing as well. I am planning on getting one from LE and changing out my 306.

My suggestion would be to do a little more research on building a 383 and look at some of these guys builds to see what works. Money will be a factor on the build as well. To do it right it is not cheap. I have $8,000-10,000 in my motor and that is getting alot of good deals on parts and doing alot of the labor myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i am trying to do this build from Afganistan my father is doing the work and my uncle owns a shop that does engine work so he is going to do the bore on the engine for me so my primary problem is that my car is in NC and i live in texas so as far as sending my heads off to be ported probably isnt going to happen and my limit that i will spend on this build is about 8500 dollars

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Well i am trying to do this build from Afganistan my father is doing the work and my uncle owns a shop that does engine work so he is going to do the bore on the engine for me so my primary problem is that my car is in NC and i live in texas so as far as sending my heads off to be ported probably isnt going to happen and my limit that i will spend on this build is about 8500 dollars
Are the heads in TX or NC?

Lloyd Elliot is located in TX so that wouldn't be that bad of a shipping issue.

IMO, I would not run eagle stuff, but thats me.

At the least, make sure you run forged stuff, what kind of pistons did you have in mind?

Will this be a strict motor only, or did you plan on hitting it with some N20 at some point?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my plan is to do The bottem end ALL forged the pistons that i was looking at are
Mahle: forged 4032 -5.0cc flat top
ring size: 1.5mm 1.5mm 3.0mm
pin height: 1.125"

it is going to be a street/strip motor pretty much a weekend car the heads i have are in north carolina

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do not waste money on the Edlebrock as stated.

.026 gaskets on a factory setup will get you 11.4:1 and you can run that all day on pump gas. You can even run 12.5:1 on 93 with a good tune.

Also why are you picking 62cc combustion chambers?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks! i wasent aware you can run such a high compression ratio on the lt1 i suppose the reverse flow cooling has something to do with that... also i want to get my stock intake ported and such who does good intake manifold work?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Lloyd and AI both do intake porting.

As for the compression ratio, you should really read up on dynamic compression ratio. That is a very big cam which will require a high static compression ratio or it will run like a pig.

The only reason to get an Edelbrock intake is if you choose an LT4 head and need a matching LT4 intake.

Choose a head gasket and deck height that gets you a quench between .035"-0.40".

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
38 Posts
You might give Karl Ellwein at ERE a call discuss your goals and have him build you a turn key motor. You can ship Alum Heads to LE or AI for $ 60.00 and even shipping a block is not that expensive.

His web site has pictures and parts lists for over 40 LT1 builds. Just reviewing how he builds his motors should help you get a better idea of how to reach your goals.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Those Trickflow heads with some good massaging with put down some pretty good numbers. I've seen multiple peope run low 11's out of the box, myself included and this year pretty sure I will cross over into the 10's with good air. Something to read about.
LT1 Cylinder Head Comparison - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You'll DEFINITELY need more compression with that camshaft. I'd run about 12:1 static with that setup.

If you run those components, set the deck height so your pistons are .010-.012" down "in the hole" at TDC, and then run a Victor .026" head gasket. That will put your quench at .036-.038", which is perfect. Have the heads built with 58cc chambers and your static will be just under 12.1:1.

I'd have that cam (if you're set on that grind) ground on 110 degree LSA and install it on a 108 ICL. This will put your dynamic compression ratio at about 8.8:1, which is about right for a reverse cooled, aluminum headed engine like the LT1.

Just my $.02...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Do not go with the Edelbrock intake. The stock manifold flows much better
Sorry, can't agree with this one... The Edelbrock is certainly not a significant improvement over stock, but it is definitely not out-flowed by a stock LT1 manifold.

Besides, and I may be wrong on this, but I think the TFS 195 heads require an LT4 intake manifold. I know that the AFR 195's, which I much prefer, use LT4 dimension intake ports.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Sorry, can't agree with this one... The Edelbrock is certainly not a significant improvement over stock, but it is definitely not out-flowed by a stock LT1 manifold.

Besides, and I may be wrong on this, but I think the TFS 195 heads require an LT4 intake manifold. I know that the AFR 195's, which I much prefer, use LT4 dimension intake ports.
The TFS 195's will work with stock LT1 intake. Trust me. ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I stand corrected... As an AFR dealer, I have somewhat limited experience with the Trick Flow heads.

It's kinda surprising to me that they build a 195cc port with LT1 inlet dimensions and a 2.02" valve. But, hey...you learn something new everyday!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts