LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, yesterday I had my first real problem out of my camaro. It ran "warm". It never red lined, but it did get up to about half way between 210 (straight up and down) and 260 (the red line). It didn't stay there either. It fluctuated back and forth. Thermostat was stuck, and coolant backed up out of the overfill. Changed the thermostat. Along with this running "warm" phenomenon, I also started to loose oil pressure. Never got below about 30 PSI, but I usually sit on 60 PSI almost constantly. It was a little low of oil, and time for a change anyway. I changed the oil, and while I was at it I flushed the Radiator and refilled it. Since then I have maintained steady temperature of no higher than 210, and Oil Pressure no lower than about 45 PSI. It's running rough though. I've checked for milky spots in my oil and steam from the tail pipe, and I've seen neither. I pulled a couple plugs and found no sign of coolant. I've seen no loss of coolant from the Radiator either. So I don't THINK it's a blown head gasket that's causing me to run rough (this is most especially noticeable at idle and low rpm)

We took it to Autozone and hand them check for any codes. It threw four. P1404 EGR valve stuck open position, P0404 EGR system fault, P0137 Heated Oxygen Sensor bank aa1 sensor 2, and P0420 Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1.

I know for sure that my cat is gone. I've as yet been unable to replace it (trying to pay for a wedding) The cat being gone and the O2 Sensor seem pretty obviously connected. I understand that it's entirely possible that the Cat and the EGR system fault are also connected. I guess my question is: 1. Is the Cat responsible for the probable carbon build up in my EGR valve which has caused it to stick open, 2. Will replacing the cat and/or cleaning/replacing the EGR valve remedy my rough ride, 3. could the "warming" of the engine and lowering of my oil pressure have caused either of these issues to go from bad to worse causing my rough ride, or is this just an annoying coincidence, and I guess 4. Am I being to quick to dismiss the possibility of a blown head gasket. (for the record the car didn't throw a code for a misfire on any cylinder, and I am fairly confident that a blown head gasket would lead to a misfire and would have, consequently, thrown a code for a misfire in at least one cylinder)

I said I'd make that short, didn't I??? Oh well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had roughly the same issue, and it was caused by the EGR valve. :/ It was malfunctioning and when I get to higher rpms/mph the car would feel like it was "stuttering". I'm not sure if that would cause the same issues at lower rpms and idling, but I don't remember the specifics on what part of my EGR was going. (Could be the opposite). Took it to my mechanic friend who eats, sleeps, breaths f-bodies and without even telling him the code he told me what was probably causing it and it turned out to be the fix.

So I'd say replacing the EGR valve would definitely help with your issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts