LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
305 project... now 383 build!

Well, it seems a friend of mine is getting sick of an old 305 taking up room in his garage, so I might be getting a 305 for free. what should I drop it into?

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
How about the ocean? Just kidding, the 305 is much maligned but isn't a bad engine. It just lacks those 45 extra cubes the 350 has. Most people would rather spend the money on modifying a 350 cause it costs about the same to do either engine.

And you should know that about 90% of our members have been bitten by the mod bug.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The friend who has it suggested an S10 might be a good project for it, and if I could find one with a burned out 4.3 v6 engine, that would probably be ideal if it's not rusted out... was just thinking I might be able to use the 305 for a daily driver project and keep the firebird for summer only.

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
S10 would be a decent candidate sine many people already swap in sbc engines. There are parts available to do the change over.

Just curious, is your 305 a carb, tbi, or tpi engine? If your swapping in an older carb engine that only made about 140 hp, you might not be too happy with the results, unless you modify the engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's carbed, will be getting a Holley 4175, as I have one and it doesn't currently have a carb on it. I do know it was rebuilt at one point, so likely had some mods done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got some more info about it... it's currently sitting as a short block with the timing cover off, apparently my buddy was going to degree the cam to see if that was why it wasn't making power before. I might as well stick a good cam in there while it's all nice and accessible :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
made the suggestion to my dad tonight that we get a different boat that can handle this engine and use it there... doubt he'll go for it though

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
Money is tight in most households, so you got to use what you've got. If you already have a s10, it's a good platform for a sbc swap. Many people have done it, so if you run into problems, there is help available.

Also there's support from after mark parts suppliers. They make install kits for the s10 that include motor mounts and other basic stuff you need for the swap. Plus there are deluxe kits that even have headers that fit s10 with sbc.

The 305 loses some cubes to the 350, but there's no reason you can't get up to about 300 hp without breaking the bank. Search craigslist everyday, for the high performance parts you will want. Be patient as new stuff gets posted every day.

Also go out from your home area as far as your willing to drive to get parts. I go out 250 mile when I search.

Here's a few of the items I've picked up for my 4th gen, by being patient. Magniflow cat back for $50. Complete 98-02 brake setup, with front spindles for about $50. Callies dragon slayer forged crankshaft, this is a $1000 part, bought for $300, new in the box. And so on. All because I didn't have to have it "now".

Also had a lt1 long block given to me, because his wife said, either engine goes or I do. Guess he wasn't a real car guy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
don't have anything for this 305 to go into. Dad and I are both Ford guys, but I happened to like the firebird, so I bought it, and my uncle wants to get rid of his old '78 K25, so that's going to be my hunting truck... it's already got a 350 in it...
Figured dad might like the boat idea 'cause he keeps talking about wanting to upgrade his boat to a bigger one with a stern drive... but he also never likes doing things my way (which is why some projects around here take 3-4x longer than necessary... always gotta try his way first)

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
I wouldn't put it in anything I wanted to go fast in. It isn't just the fewer cui. The small cyl diameter severely limits your heads and the ability to mod more in the future. Just look at the 5.0 in the 80's to see fewer cubes with a larger bore that competed with the 350. If running a low 14 to maybe a high 13 sec ET is your goal, a 305 will work though. Be conservative with your cam choice in this application. I've seen 305's given away regularly, and the reason is for the same $ put into a build a 350 is the better bang for the buck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
objective here is something for daily driving so that my firebird can winter indoors

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw an article where Car Craft did a low compression 305 build, and with the stock low end from an 80's F-body, they put a cam in, Vortec heads, headers, Edelbrock Victor intake, and I think a 750 CFM holley... and the darn thing was putting out 320hp!
They did note though that the performer RPM intake would likely give better street performance, and there wasn't a major difference between the power the Victor and the performer RPM...

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Take build articles like that with a large grain of salt. While 320 peak hp sounds good, it'll only make 250ish at the wheels. How was the power curve and torque level? It takes more than peak numbers to make a good performing set up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well no shit... it's still pretty amazing power for the size of engine it is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I say clean up the motor, paint it and polish some parts and make a badass coffee table out of it

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A coffee-table go-kart? ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Okay, it's amazing power for a GM engine! ;)
Well when I really want horsepower, I'm not building a GM engine. I'm building an FE big-block!
like I said, free engine. should make a decent daily driver in the right vehicle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally went to pick it up... no 305! Instead, he gave me a 2 bolt .030 over 350 block. So I'm thinking I need to use this block to build myself a 383 for my hunting truck. I've been looking at Summit's rotating assemblies. Since I'm not building for high horsepower, just gobs of low-end torque, I'm thinking that a cast crank will be more than adequate. However, since it is going to be off-road a lot, I want to put in a dry-sump oiling system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts