LS1LT1 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
i drove it to work yesterday and i put about 80 miles on it and i drove it agen to work today it seams to be running just fine altho idk how it felt to drive before this is my first time driveing a V6 firebird i own a ls1 and i know what that should feel like but it gets up on the hiway fast enough and seams to have plenty of power like my bonnaville did

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sweet, sounds like you got yourself a good running car now. Although i still wouldnt mind seeing a turbo straped on that engine though ;) just my opinion :lol: jk!!

Hey 2fast, this may sound like a stupid question but lets say the compression drop isnt noticeable but would that effect anything at all? obviously im sure it would hurt horsepower a little bit, but how about the gas mileage? (again it may sound like a stupid question but im just curious myself)

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Sweet, sounds like you got yourself a good running car now. Although i still wouldnt mind seeing a turbo straped on that engine though ;) just my opinion :lol: jk!!

Hey 2fast, this may sound like a stupid question but lets say the compression drop isnt noticeable but would that effect anything at all? obviously im sure it would hurt horsepower a little bit, but how about the gas mileage? (again it may sound like a stupid question but im just curious myself)

Um it will affect the power output some. Though i'm not sure if the l67 uses a different cam since it is suppose to be a blown motor. Which might be making up for the difference in compression. But 1pt i think it was you won't notice at all. It might hurt gas mileage only if it's lagging power from before. If so i still say maybe 1 to 2mpg. But the computer might compensate for the drop in compression and allow for some more timing. I'm not to on top of the tune in the v6 birds to know how much is able to be added by the computer.

And laux a stock gtp/ what he has isn't that fast stock. Compared to a v6 bird time wise i'm not sure what they run. But as for weight difference i am pretty sure a lt1 bird weighs like 300lb's more than a gtp. A v6 one will more than likely weigh a little less.

Why i think it might seem faster is the gearing in the tranny and rear. His bonneville in stock form isn't really geared for performance like a f-body. But when mods are added they will run.

·
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator
4,979 Posts
Same cam between the two. But the tune is going to be off from the compression drop. My GTP weighs in the same ball park as F Bodies

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is a good site to check out about V6 performance..

www.firebirdv6.com

I built up my old 98 firebird with a forged 3.8 bored .030 over, with forged internal, pp heads and intakes, and a big ( well back in 2002 it was) Nitrous cam and had a 125 shot on it.. On motor tuned with a Maf Translater plus it put down 230rwhp and 230rwtq.. Stock with bolt ons it made 185rwhp and 210rwtq..

On the spray with the stock tune it made 370rwhp and 433rwtq with a 10.0:1 A/F mixture.. I never had a good pass with the car at the track due to my young age I didnt realize you had to build up the stock Rear and T5.. I broke 4 rears and 2 trannies.. I finally got sick of not being able to drive the car that I sold it and found my 02 WS6 for 15,000 back in 2005.. I put headers, full exhaust, lid, massair, and a Ported TB and bought an extended warrenty for it..

It is easy for the 3.8's to make over 300rwhp.. If I had to do it over again I would have done a turbo.. The stock internals are beefy and the motor is a great motor to mod.. Just a tip.. U can get some L32 stock Forged rods from a 3.8 seris 3 motor for under 200.00 a set.. I used Manley H-Beams that ran about 600.00!!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts