LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What clutches is everyone running on the 3.8 with the 5 speed?

I know to avoid the parts store, but was wondering if their was a good and bad brand in the aftermarket. Any opinions appreciated, even if its for prefered brands behind the V8 cars!

Edit: I know this is transmission tech, but I thought I'd try out the fancy new V6 section!

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see, I was leaning towards spec anyway, but didn't know that about the pressure plates. I guess I'll just have the flywheel turned if its in good shape so I won't have to worry about that.

Normally replace the slave cylinder too, 100k miles if it matters?

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is also what I was thinking, take a look at it while its off and if its good leave it. Can get those at the parts store easy anyway.

This should be interesting, I'm use to removing a 4l60e by myself removing the 5 speed with 2 people should be easy...

Thanks!

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If a 5 speed is anything like a 6 speed (i can imagine lighter) then it should be a fairly easy cakewalk.
Yea, thats what I was thinking/hoping for. The biggest issue I see would be the exhaust, but we'll see if it has to come off. I've gotten my auto out b/f with the Y pipe still on.

One more question, where to get the parts, any sponsors carry them? I looked on Summit and they have a nice Zoom one but it won't ship till the end of the month.

Edit: Duh me, I now see Spec is a sponsor...I think I'm starting to lose it lol.

·
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator
4,979 Posts
My theory is this. Youi've got the trans out why not put the slace in and not have to worry about it. For the price of them vs. the cost of what you're doing its not worth it to reuse it.
Only other aftermarket clutch I've heard of for the V6 is Centerfarce. I'm not a Spec fan but I'd go spec in this case.
I know Thunder and Texas Speed have V6 sections on their sites so I'd look there as well as maybe Scoggin Dickey. Spec is a sponsor and maybe LMSpeed has deal on them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts