LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having some 3-4 shift issues with a t56. (behind a small block in a 74 240z). At first we thought it was air in the clutch system but after bleeding it several times that is ruled out. It shifts though all the gears sitting still at idle but actually driving it is almost impossible to get into 3rd or 4th. Guessing the shift fork is bent. The shift stops are all still tight btw. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
revolutionary said:
We are having some 3-4 shift issues with a t56. (behind a small block in a 74 240z). At first we thought it was air in the clutch system but after bleeding it several times that is ruled out. It shifts though all the gears sitting still at idle but actually driving it is almost impossible to get into 3rd or 4th. Guessing the shift fork is bent. The shift stops are all still tight btw. Any ideas?

I'd guess shift fork.

edit: it'd help if I could spell shift.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
I would guess its a bent shift fork. Happens quite often, or the 3/4 syncro. Both of which seem to be weak links.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
eh its basically a rebuild at that point, might as well pony up for a full built tranny ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep. No shop will just replace the forks without tearing all apart and inspecting everything. Labor alone will be between 500 and 750. Yes it varies that much. I know, I have looked.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess it's a good thing that I already picked up a new tranny then :D . My old one will be in the for sale section here pretty soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Give Rodney at RPM Transmissions a call at 765 524-5341 for a built tranny at a great price. There are many weak parts in these tranny's that can be built up to take a lot of abuse. Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts