LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P0306 code consistently being thrown and have no idea why. Since it began I have had the plugs, plug wires, an ignition coil, and fuel injectors replaced. In addition, cylinder 6 has been pressure tested. And the MAF sensor has been cleaned. No other codes are being thrown.

I will get a pending code with no FF data, then a second P0306 will be stored with FF data. 02/02. So I'll have a pending and a stored. The stored code will go away while the pending normally stays. Over and over.

I do not understand. I am looking for ideas. I appreciate any helpful information I can get.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
Look for spark leakage. Mist the plug wires with some water. Run at night and look for spark leakage. Even though code is for cylinder # 6, plug wires near it could be having spark leakage and causing cyl # 6 to misfire.

Your crank or cam sensor could be having a problem. Unfortunately, only ways to 100% check the crank & cam sensor output is with an oxcilloscope or a GM tech 2 scanner. You can buy a PC based scope for around $70 on ebay, amazon,et .

What you would be looking for with scope is a well formed square wave from both crank and cam sensors. You can buy a clone tech 2 scanner on amazon for about $300.

But most any good obd 2 scanner with real time sensor data, could help you out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look for spark leakage. Mist the plug wires with some water. Run at night and look for spark leakage. Even though code is for cylinder # 6, plug wires near it could be having spark leakage and causing cyl # 6 to misfire.

Your crank or cam sensor could be having a problem. Unfortunately, only ways to 100% check the crank & cam sensor output is with an oxcilloscope or a GM tech 2 scanner. You can buy a PC based scope for around $70 on ebay, amazon,et .

What you would be looking for with scope is a well formed square wave from both crank and cam sensors. You can buy a clone tech 2 scanner on amazon for about $300.

But most any good obd 2 scanner with real time sensor data, could help you out.
Question: Can the crank or camshaft sensor cause the misfire code to zero in on one specific cylinder?

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
Yes, but don't run out and buy new ones. You need to test to see if cam & crank sensors have the proper square wave with no drop outs or misshapen signals. Only way to 100% check these signals is with an oscilloscope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts