LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in the thought that the 1997 and 1998 rear ends are identical? I believe that some cars of both years were available with and some without tcs, but other than that if there were a rear of both years with tcs and same ratio, would they be exactly the same?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i'm pretty sure if you want to keep ABS and if it's a 4-channel system, you'll be in some amount of trouble, the axle-mounted 4 channel abs reluctor wheels are a different tooth count (they're definitely a different size, from what i've seen)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm pretty sure if you want to keep ABS and if it's a 4-channel system, you'll be in some amount of trouble, the axle-mounted 4 channel abs reluctor wheels are a different tooth count (they're definitely a different size, from what i've seen)
Swapping the caliper mounts and backing plates will solve the brake difference as BMXRIDER states but there is no solution for the ABS issues other than eliminating the rear ABS, correct? And then obviously dealing with the ABS light in another manner (removing bulb)...I'm assuming the TCS is non-functional as well? That can be eliminated in the PCM tune anyway...

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about a 3 channel 98 Rear into a 97 3 channel car. I have the opportunity to pick up a 98 3 channel rear with 3.42's complete brake to brake cheap. It would give me better gears and LS1 rear brakes.

Will the swap work, do not want to get rid of the ABS?

THanks!

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
I am uncertain if the sensor, connector, or reluctor ring changed between the lt and ls cars. It will all bolt up and work. At the minimum, you will have to have the computer tuned for the gear change. I cannot say for certain the abs will function as intended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts