LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this thing to part out, but want to hear it run before I pull the engine. Only has 83k miles, sitting for 14 years. Hook a new battery onto it, and all that happens when I crank it is nothing, and then the sound happens a second after I release the key, and the sound changes when I hold the brake. When I got the car, the shifter was disconnected, but the car was in neutral because it rolled right off the tow truck. I left it in neutral or what I think is neutral when hooking the shifter back up. Seems to shift through all the gears fine so I don't think I hooked the linkage on in the wrong gear but could be a part of the problem.... is there a safety switch that I have to hook up somewhere before it'll let me start the car or is it something more complicated? I have the one wire connected to the front of the shifter. It does the same clunk with the shifter in all positions. I'll get a video of it soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have the right vats key?

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using Tapatalk
Bad ground from battery, loose cables, loose wires, bad starter solenoid, starter, ingition switch, park switch. A bunch of things to check there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you have the right vats key?

Bad ground from battery, loose cables, loose wires, bad starter solenoid, starter, ingition switch, park switch. A bunch of things to check there.
Checked battery grounds, looked around for loose wires and came up with nothing. Found a wiring diagram for the starter, and just want to know where some of these things are and how I can test them. The ignition switch seems to be alright, id definitely more suspect the transmission range switch, theft relay, or starter solenoid. Going to try and bypass the relay and then see what happens. Don't think its the keys, they're both the same resistance and neither works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Trans switch is on the trans by where the shiter cable bolts on
Solenoid is on top of the starter. Relay either on firewall by brake master or the fuse panel.I

·
Global Moderator
12,987 Posts
Yes, there is a trans position switch, which is mounted on shifter under console. It prevents starter engaging unless shifter is in park or neutral.

You can download the 96 factory service manual at the following link. It will have complete wiring diagrams, component location views, and troubleshooting help. While at the link, I suggest downloading the 95service manual also. While 95 & 96 have some significant differences, the 95 manual is much easier to find things in.

www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

·
Registered
43 Posts
Solenoid on starter. Jump big battery term to the small S term should get a response. Either a clicking sound or the starter kicks in and starts. Then t/s the trans switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Figured it out, was a broken wire to the gear range selector. Got no 12v there when I turned the key, peeled back the loom and the wire was in two pieces. Looks like someone had taped it back together years ago and it came loose when someone pulled the interior apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts