LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 1996 trans am t-top car leather auto. What I can find about doing the research is I'm the 2nd owner. So I run the vin and it tells me a trans am but from what I can find it has the grid taillights? Is this common for the 96 lt1. She has 104 thousand but has had quiet a bit done internal just not looks wise other than wheels. I bought all new upolstery for her since the leather was busted in front buckets but the previous owner got cloth to replace! New taillights are expensive but a must so was just wandering why the grid? Because a post said they were "rare". Im new at this but always loved this car (dreamer) what year did a ws6 come out?? In all reality is hope to find one next!

·
Global Moderator
13,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Trans am 4th gen used 2 different styles of taillights during the run. 93-97 used the grid style. Standard firebird & formula used a plain taillight.While all 98 to 02 firebirds used the honeycomb style.

While neither style of taillight is rare in itself, finding new sets to replace your old ones is getting harder to find every day.

ws6 came out for 4th gens in 96. This could be order for both trans am & formula. All factory ws6 cars came with a single hoiod scope for 96-97. And a double scope hood for 98-02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the extra info. I really appreciate it! If I may ask another question? Why is it that ever since I bought mine I have been searching for another 96 trans am and can not find one for sale anywhere? Was there anything that the 96 had that made it anything special? Or is it just the normal trans am? I ask because I test drove a convertible 99 auto had 67 thousand on it for sale for 9 grand but mine seemed to have quiet a bit more power and it is way noticeable! Im new at the trans ams as you can tell but I've always loved them. The more I research and find out about this car the more intrigued I get! But it's not your everyday 96 trans am and I can't figure out why or why things were changed or if it came the way it is? It has 104 on it and is a factory red t-top car. The exhaust pipe going into the muffler is at least 4inches maybe more. Then comes out with the quads! It has the normal hood but a ws6 badge on back, grid tail lights and custom wheels. When I look up vin it shows trans am! So how can I tell if it is a true ws6 or if it's a wannabe? I love her regardless and have big plans on bringing her back to her glory but would be nice to know her story! Ant help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

·
Global Moderator
13,268 Posts
It's hard to find a 96 trans am because they only made 8853 of them. Seeing that car is almost 27 years old, many of them have been junked & crushed.

If your 96 was a formula only 3335 of them were built.

You can tell if car is a ws6 by looking at the rpo sticker located on driver door. If it's gone the Pontiac Historical Society (PHS) can get you a build sheet at a fairly low cost. True ws6 will have ws6 on rpo sticker and build sheet or window sticker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts