LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, long time stalker first time poster. :D I recently picked up very nice 1995 Trans Am and would like to switch out the muffler. I believe the current set up is BBK (Shorty likely) into 3" y pipe and 3" back to the flowmaster 80 series muffler with the normal dual tips out.

This car is only driven on weekends when it is nice out, I am looking to replace the muffler with something much more aggressive. I have went through most of the sound clips on youtube and here, I really like the Borla XR-1 sound. However it doesn't look like they make one for my setup. Have I just failed miserably at google or am I out of luck if I wish to keep the current setup and add an XR-1 muffler?

I'm open to other suggestions also, just really really like the beastly sound of the XR-1!

Not really interested in doing a cutout.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think if you do the xr1 round you can fit it like an slp loudmouth exhaust set up and have the muffler placed b4 the rear axel then jump ur pipes over and have them y out the back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think if you do the xr1 round you can fit it like an slp loudmouth exhaust set up and have the muffler placed b4 the rear axel then jump ur pipes over and have them y out the back
Aha! Yep, I was so locked into only looking at direct replacements i didnt even think of that! So simple and yet it completely eluded me lol.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
I have two short XR1 ovals behind the bumper. I am soon thinking about replacing the LM1 resonator with a round XR1 to try and quiet the sound down at idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two short XR1 ovals behind the bumper. I am soon thinking about replacing the LM1 resonator with a round XR1 to try and quiet the sound down at idle.
How do you like the sound. Im assuming I will receive a noticable difference going from flowmaster 80 to the XR. I wasnt able to track down too many sound clips with set ups similar too mine.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Mines a 100% custom job by me. It's basically long tubes and an off road Y 3" going to an LM1 3". Then when it splits back off to 2.5" I welded the two XR1s to it before the exhaust tips. It sounds extremely deep and rumbly at idle. I've been told twice now that when people hear my car they think it's thunder and a storm is coming in. They are 100% serious when saying this. Of course, my engine is built so it's a different story than stock LT1. I'm unsure how my exhaust set up would sound with an OEM set up. Basically right now it's too loud, I need to find different ways to quiet it down.

Here is a sound clip:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mines a 100% custom job by me. It's basically long tubes and an off road Y 3" going to an LM1 3". Then when it splits back off to 2.5" I welded the two XR1s to it before the exhaust tips. It sounds extremely deep and rumbly at idle. I've been told twice now that when people hear my car they think it's thunder and a storm is coming in. They are 100% serious when saying this. Of course, my engine is built so it's a different story than stock LT1. I'm unsure how my exhaust set up would sound with an OEM set up. Basically right now it's too loud, I need to find different ways to quiet it down.

Here is a sound clip:

383 LT1 SLP LM1 with Dual Borla XR1 - YouTube
Sounds kind of like a Honda :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Sounds kind of like a Honda :thumbsup:
Yeah if that Honda had a LT1 in it with a full custom exhaust. I haven't heard a single Honda sound even remotely close to that. Unless of course, you're talking about the horrible distortion from the crappy camera mic....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
807 Posts
That is one loud exhaust system, honestly now,can you have a conversation with someone when you are driving down the road ?
When I was a kid, I would have loved that sound,now that I am in my 60's, not so much. ed:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to do something similar to yours, minus the resonater. I would just delete the muffler stop by the exhaust shop and have some pipe bent, weld it up with the 2 ovals at the rear? Am I missing a step, or something easier?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts