LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
New member and this is my first post. I'm going to check out a 95 Firebird this week. I've never owned one before, and am a little confused by what I'm looking at. I'm sure once I see it in person it will make sense, but I wanted to check with the experts.
It's an LT1/6speed and has a ram air hood on it. Did Firebirds come with this hood factory in 95? I've been having a hard time finding information on that. The seller says it's factory, but I can't be sure he knows. I know there wasn't a WS6 option in 95. Would this car have rear discs or any other upgrades? I'm trying to determine if there's anything strange about the car, or if it's as it should be from the factory. I want to know what to expect when I get there. The seller isn't a talkative guy, only other info I got was that it was a "posi" rear end, and it has air conditioning.
Sorry if these are elementary questions, I appreciate your patience. Further to that, is there anything unusual to check for on these cars when buying? Thanks!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Make sure to check under the car for rust/rot. I learned this the hard way. Also check the engine at all mating surfaces for oil or antifreeze that may be leaking. Open radiator cap while engine is running and look for bubbles. if there are bubbles, the head gasket is shot. Make sure engine doesn't knock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had a look at the car. It's in OK shape, but the hood is still throwing me off. It's a formula (WS9, W66) but I haven't seen another formula in 95 with the ram air hood. It *looks* as though it's original, but no way to know for sure. The underhood parts are all there and look right, but I don't really know. I took a pic of the sticker in the glovebox but don't know what to look for. Were these cars available with ram air from the factory in 95?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yeah that was added. A 95 firehawk would have a different hood. Lots of people add WS6 hoods and airboxes to their non ram air cars. I converted mine with OEM parts about 5 years ago. As for rear discs, all V8 4th gens have 4 wheel disc brakes regardless if z28, ss, formula, or trans am.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks for the info guys. The guy selling it swears it came from the factory with that ram air hood, but he's also not the original owner. Someone added it somewhere along the line.
I would have bought it, but I found the handling pretty scary. Not sure if the struts were beat out of it or what, but it wasn't my cup of tea. It had plenty of get up and go though, will make a fun car for someone. Again, I appreciate the feedback and information.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ya if its not a firehawk its not the origanal hood it was said before only 96-97 came with functional ram air hood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts