LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought a 95 5.7 firebird and when i bought it the oil pressure was at about 10-20 on the 3 hour drive back but into the 6th hour of driving it the car got a loud knocking noise and the oil pressure even dropped to 0, any ideas?

·
Global Moderator
13,678 Posts
Sounds like low oil pressure caused a rod bearing tospin blocking oil pressure. Rod knock could also occur do to failed oil pump.

You will have to pull oil pan. Then remove each connecting rod end cap to look for the bad bearing or bearings. Do this one at a time, replacing & torqueing bearing cap you just looked at, before moving on to next conn rod bearing.

When bad rod bearing confirmed, you will have to take drastic action. Engine must be removed and torn down. New or reground crankshaft must be installed. Along with new main & rod bearings.

On 4th gen firebirds, it's best to pull engine, transmission & K-member as an assembly. To help you, I've added a link to the 95 f-body factory service manual.www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Also here's the 4th gen engine removal pdf file. It's too big to upload to forum. If you want it PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A double knock for rod that sounds like a deisel piston slapping or a rhythmic knock like a small sledge bopping the block. I have now seen two lt1s with front main bearings visibly jammed out of the journals. Yikes.

What coco said... with picker and elevated jack stands you can pull the engine in a day or two as a hobbyist. If you are serious, one afternoon.

Rebuild that baby. Time for fun to begin! You will love it as long as its not your primary transport.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A double knock for rod that sounds like a deisel piston slapping or a rhythmic knock like a small sledge bopping the block. I have now seen two lt1s with front main bearings visibly jammed out of the journals. Yikes.

What coco said... with picker and elevated jack stands you can pull the engine in a day or two as a hobbyist. If you are serious, one afternoon.

Rebuild that baby. Time for fun to begin! You will love it as long as its not your primary transport.
haha im 17 but i atleast got another tiburon to daily, do you know of any short blocks selling for under 1000? im thinking of just buying one of those so i have a fresh engine

·
Registered
89 Posts
haha im 17 but i atleast got another tiburon to daily, do you know of any short blocks selling for under 1000? im thinking of just buying one of those so i have a fresh engine
I have a lt1 block with spun main you can have if you can grab it. Western OR...

·
Registered
45 Posts
For the price you are setting as your goal, new is not likely in the cards. But, if you shop hard and are lucky, you may be able to snag a used motor that was removed from a running car.

I would check out car-part.com. They have a list of junkyards, and many of them ship parts all over. I have personally ordered from many different yards using car-part.com, and I have had some pretty good luck.

Just be sure to ask about any warranty from the yard you order your engine from. Occasionally, they have one, but for the most part, you likely wont get one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the price you are setting as your goal, new is not likely in the cards. But, if you shop hard and are lucky, you may be able to snag a used motor that was removed from a running car.

I would check out car-part.com. They have a list of junkyards, and many of them ship parts all over. I have personally ordered from many different yards using car-part.com, and I have had some pretty good luck.

Just be sure to ask about any warranty from the yard you order your engine from. Occasionally, they have one, but for the most part, you likely wont get one.
i could have sworn i seen one selling for 800 new

·
Registered
89 Posts
found it, 995
A few years ago i saw a Craigslist add for a perfect lt1 from a vette swapped at 500 miles for another engine. It had been stored inside climate controlled and manually spun around every year to keep it from siezing. Guy sold it for 1500 dressed.

If you found a deal like that for 900 you are extremely lucky and the seller is probably a fool.

I do not think that the gen 2 lt1 block is compatible with any other block.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I am sorry to jump you post but I have the 1995 Firebird Convertible with the small v6 Its in very good condition except for the accumulated parking lot scrapes .I am thinking of selling it but have no idea what to ask. I'm hopeful you could give me some ballpark number given that you bought one recently. Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
View attachment 32753
I am sorry to jump you post but I have the 1995 Firebird Convertible with the small v6
View attachment 32753
I am sorry to jump you post but I have the 1995 Firebird Convertible with the small v6 Its in very good condition except for the accumulated parking lot scrapes .I am thinking of selling it but have no idea what to ask. I'm hopeful you could give me some ballpark number given that you bought one recently. View attachment 32753
Thanks

Check out bringatrailer.com. its the shit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 32753
I am sorry to jump you post but I have the 1995 Firebird Convertible with the small v6 Its in very good condition except for the accumulated parking lot scrapes .I am thinking of selling it but have no idea what to ask. I'm hopeful you could give me some ballpark number given that you bought one recently. View attachment 32753
Thanks
3-4k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts