LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a 1994 LT1 Trans Am. I am doing a little upgrade on her and need some expert advice.
I have a cold air intake, headers, 10.5 mm wires and 373 gears. Any advice to make her scream a little more?
My son's have Mustangs, need I say more?

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What you do to the car to add hp & torque will depend on how much money your willing to spend. Also on the mileage & condition of engine, transmission, & rear end.

If your a no limit guy and have an engine that has high miles, I'd have block bored out. Fit it with forged higher compression pistons to start with. The reverse cooled lt1 can stand 11.5 to 1 and even 11.8 to 1 pistons and still use pump gas.

I'd get LE3 heads from Lloyd Elliot port works. He can recommend the proper cam to go with the heads & higher compression pistons. The compression ratios I quoted above are called "static compression ratio" You want a set up that will bring you to a 9.0 to 1 DYNAMIC compression ratio or maybe a little lower.

The dynamic compression ratio is a result of static compression, valve size, cam grind, deck height, head gasket thickness, and some other factors. You can start with a 11.8 to 1 static compression ratio and have a 9.0 to 1 dynamic compression ratio using the correct components and machine shop work.

This is just a small piece of the puzzle, as the transmission, suspension, brakes, & rear must be stout enough to hold the hp & torque your new engine will lay down.

Get in touch with Lloyd Elliot, he knows far more about making hp & torque than I do.

By the way, your 94 trans am will pound up to at least a 2004 mustang gt, into the dirt. Just like it is. The 4.6 of the stang just doesn't have the low end grunt that lt1 has. I can't say about 05 & newer mustangs as I know nothing about them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Thanks so much for your advice! I appreciate it. I guess I'll take it a bit at a time, money is not exactly free flowing. At least now I have an end game to shoot for.
Plus it will give my husband and boys time to learn the LT1 and Trans Am thing, considering they are all Ford guys and Mustang builders....
Merry Christmas!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts