LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just bought my first Corvette - 1994. I’ve changed the Opti(first time seeing one), but while it was off I turned the crankshaft getting the harmonic balancer off and realized when I went to put it back on I had it out of time. I did not make my marks like I should have.
So now, trying to find the process to fix the timing. Just need to know if I need software and a programmer, or what the best way to go about this is. I used a Duralast Opti. Thanks for any help, and I will be responding as frequent as possible.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
There are 2 types of opti. A spline drive, & a pin drive. Some 94 models have pin dribve & some the spline drive. Unless you have removed timing chain & turned either crank or cam, when opti goes in correctly timing is right.

The spline type opti has a toothed spline with a small keyway on it. You simply match keyway on opti and timing cover & your set.

With pin drive opti, there's a cam pin sticking out from timing cover. You insert opti so deep indentation on back of opti has pin go into it.

I will include a link to pics of both types of opti drives. www.shbox.com
Number 54 & 55 in component views section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have the "pin" type it is possible to get it started and almost seated in the wrong slot on the end of the cam. If you have this type, remove the optispark and make sure you are fully seating into the correct slot. The optispark housing should seat up tight to the front of the block if you are in the right slot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, if you are replacing an OEM Optispark, make sure you save the optical reader module inside the unit (the OEM one will have a Mitsubishi symbol on the module), the aftermarket ones are known to have problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I turned the crankshaft while it was off. Now I’ve got it back together but it won’t start and the “Security” light flashes when key is out

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
Security light flashing means you have a problem with vats security system. Go to the shoebox site I linked in my 1st post, and read up on vats security system.

When security light stays on spark, fuel injectors, & starter are disabled. However, because of age of car, and the multiple owners it's had, starter lock bypass is a common mod. But spark and fuel injectors are still in off mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts