LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member. I have a 1955 chevy nomad that I have a 1994 LT1 installed. When I first put it on the road, the transmission had issues. I had a shop rebuild it and they used a 1996 core. I have since had issues with that rebuild ( about 22K after the rebuild over several years) in that reverse went out and it started slipping in 1st and 2nd while on a trip out of state. I had a local transmission shop in Oregon rebuild it (July of 2018) and reverse just went out. I have only put 2-3K on that transmission.
After doing some research, it looks like I needed to have a 1994 core and not a 1996...Is this accurate and if so do you have recommendations on options for me?
thx, Jim

·
Global Moderator
13,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Back in the days before computer control, you could mix & match year of engine & trans. But not so with 94 & later 4l60E.

There were enough changes between 94 & 96 to make the trans not compatible with the 94 computer system. While the trans would sort of work, it wouldn't work correctly. And fast break down would & did occur.

For 94 4L60E, only a 94 would be 100% compatible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

Back in the days before computer control, you could mix & match year of engine & trans. But not so with 94 & later 4l60E.

There were enough changes between 94 & 96 to make the trans not compatible with the 94 computer system. While the trans would sort of work, it wouldn't work correctly. And fast break down would & did occur.

For 94 4L60E, only a 94 would be 100% compatible.
Thanks for the feedback. I took the transmission to a different transmission shop late yesterday. He dropped the pan and fortunately while the case is from a 1996, the parts inside look to be 1994. There is only one lockup solenoid which from my understanding was only done on the 1994 transmission. I'm not sure I'm happy about that since now we need to find out why it's failed for the third time...

·
Global Moderator
13,224 Posts
Your average trans guy is probably not aware of changes that went into 95 & later 4L60E. Here's just the tip of the ice burg.

Changed the valve body casting.
Oil pump body
Oil pump stator
turbine shaft ball capsule.

These are just 4 of the many changes that 4L60E went through after 94.

If you wish to know all the changes that 4L60E went through, buy the 4L60E/4L65E update handbook from ATSG It should be around $20. You should be able to find a new or used copy on Ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I’ve purchased the update on eBay. It should arrive in a couple weeks.
jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts