LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my good ol trans am and I'm going to start taking her apart and rebuilding her. She's got about 209,xxx miles on her and doesn't run. 700r4 tranny works like new but motor needs a fixing up. Anyone know and good rebuild kits???? Also while rebuilding her I wanna beef her up. All throttle no bottle style what do I need to do to put numbeRs near 400rwhp?????????

· Registered
620 Posts
Id say to get a good start just make it into a 383. And go from there.
But if you just want to keep your good ol 350, throw a cam in it, high flow heads, springs, rockers, push rods, headers and an exhaust system, a tune, higher pressure injectors and a bigger throttle body (but I've heard that the stock throttle body is good up to 400 hp) This will all give u a pretty good bump in horse power.

· Registered
620 Posts
I could see around 50-70 crank horses.
Should just make it a 383 lol

· Premium Member
13,697 Posts
Kits are not your best bet. It would be better to assemble individual components, matched to your needs, in order to make a harmonious engine.

There are many members on our forum with the knowledge of what parts you will need.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Alot! ;) I just spent 7k on mine but then again it will be hopefully 550hp/tq. It all depends on your overall goal or end state. What do you want the car to do and how do you want it to perform? Answer these questions and we will be able to set you on the right track. Hell you may only need a 355 etc. Let us know your thoughts.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's going to sit for awhile I am slowly going to do this rebuild and I'm trying to do it all myself. I just want it to be close to 400rwhp as possible. All motor. Ill keep the ole lt1 350 if need be but I'm looking to do a cam for starters and idk what one is gonna put down the big numbers. I'm gonna take it apart and clean and fix things as need be I'm gonna find a part to buy save up for it buy it and install it so I'm not in a huge rush

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
nothing wrong with that goal on a 350.

it'll take ported/polished heads with larger valves, a big cam, and all the trim to support it.

big springs n locks. a good timing set. nsa rockers guide plates hardened pushrods. going to have to build it to sustain high rpm, because it's going to make shit all for power down low.

bigger injectors. intake & full exhaust.

a MUCH bigger stall for your 700r4, and trans upgrades to support that much power.

a built rear end wouldn't be a bad idea.

since you're a 93 tuning for driveability will be a bitch, speed density is really hard to nail a tune with a big cam, since it relies on intake vacuum for metering, and your vacuum will be really sketchy

just lettin' you know, it's a big job.

· Registered
620 Posts
If you do a Large cam to start out with, Your going to need better springs, rockers, and pushrods. I learned that from the old motors and now with the LT1 as well.
Its best to do springs anyways when you do a cam swap. Because as you probably know your valves need to be able to open and close properly when needed for a larger cam with a higher intake and exhaust lift.

· Registered
620 Posts
And dude, STEVEO KNOWS how to build a VERY GREAT motor. I trust his answer's. Coco's as well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.