LS1LT1 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thats cool I myself am in to traditional OL SKOOL RODZ and I am kicking around the idea of taking over my buddies 28 A project but I need that like I need another hole in the head and I plan on moving to TX in the spring. You should post some pics with the front tire a foot off the ground when you get it done. Good Luck. P.S. are you running independent front suspension or an I beam set up/ soild axle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same question, just different numbers and wondering if it's worth fixing (currently knocking, likely piston slap). The casting numbers are 3999290

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.. I am new to Chevy's and I am looking for a decent engine / transmission for a new project. I ran across a 1972 chevy truck with an original 402 big block with a 400 transmission. My only concern is that these engines were so detuned by this time that I may have to spend some serious $$$ to get the power numbers back up. I think they were rated at around 240hp in the trucks that year. I think the main problem is they brought the compression way down. Am I looking at domed pistons, stroking the engine, shaving the deck or something of that nature? I am most likely going to have to rebuild the engine anyway... just curious what I am going to need to do to it to make it a streetable engine with around 350-400hp. I am guessing if I ditch the 2bbl carb and throw headers on it I may gain something right off the bat. I can get the whole truck for $600
If it is the original engine, in a 3/4 ton, with a 400 tranny, then it is likely to be a "400" big block based off the 396. If I rememberthe year correctly Chevy started doing this in later half of 1969. They made 396, 400 and the 454.
I am certain of the 400, I have one in my
Hello.. I am new to Chevy's and I am looking for a decent engine / transmission for a new project. I ran across a 1972 chevy truck with an original 402 big block with a 400 transmission. My only concern is that these engines were so detuned by this time that I may have to spend some serious $$$ to get the power numbers back up. I think they were rated at around 240hp in the trucks that year. I think the main problem is they brought the compression way down. Am I looking at domed pistons, stroking the engine, shaving the deck or something of that nature? I am most likely going to have to rebuild the engine anyway... just curious what I am going to need to do to it to make it a streetable engine with around 350-400hp. I am guessing if I ditch the 2bbl carb and throw headers on it I may gain something right off the bat. I can get the whole truck for $600
Worth it. Also if it's the original with the truck (3/4 ton) it is a 400 based off the 396. Chevy did this starting later 1969 I believe.
Yes worth it. It's a 400 btw. Based off of 396 after late 1969. Have fun adjusting your points if you don't convert them over to HEI.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts