LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need a little info,my 97 trans am lt1 is running at good temps but I wanna change the t-stat but I don't know which one to use, 160° or 180°. I don't know how many mods have been done,but one I can see is the cold air intake but I don't know what brand this was done before I bought the car,so I'm lost on extra stuff that my have been done to it ,I have some pics in the photo gallery of the Cai and my temp gauge, oh and one more thing are accel optisparks any good? I'm thinking of buy one from summit racing, I don't have a lot of money so I thought it maybe a good buy.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how the fans are programed to come on,I bought this car as is, all I see is the cold air intake. If there are any other mods,it's a mystery to me.my temp runs normally a little over the second line after the 160° mark. I think summit has sold all of their optis on clearance, I haven't checked jegs yet, I just want a good opti that will go good with my Taylor spiral 8mm pro series wires & AC delco professional platinum plugs,and the right t-stat, I'm needing a new opti because of moisture problems, what opti can I get to eliminate this issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shoebox I got a picture of my temp gauge in my photo album it's a white firebird lt1,the title to the album is firebird lt1 please if you could take a look at it for me and tell me what temp you think my stat is,so when I change it I get the right one thanks,I'm having problems uploading pictures to my threads so the photo gallery was the next place i thought to put them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The picture was taken when I made it home from work which is a 12 minute drive,the weather was cloudy, it had rained overnight the temperature was like in the mid 50's,there are plenty of red lights in jonesboro,so traffic is stop and go,my car never has over heated,so that's not a concern as of yet,I just don't wanna keep driving my car with a t-stat that probably hasn't been changed since God knows when,the water pump still looks new, but it doesn't matter I just wanna change it out without messing anything up because my car runs fine outside of a opti that fouls in a heavy rain,but I'm going to buy a new one very soon here

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dudes, do i have to use hypertech programmer after installing 160 thermostat, or it will work fine?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Read, thanx a lot. At our local comunity camarofirebird.ru someone has the hypertech programmer for 93'. What short headers will be best? Would leave O2 sensors.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Read, thanx a lot. At our local comunity camarofirebird.ru someone has the hypertech programmer for 93'. What short headers will be best? Would leave O2 sensors.
93s use replaceable chips for programming. So, is this a programmer and chip burner?

I'm leaving the header question for those with experience with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, i haven't seen it, so don't know. He just told me that he has got programmer. Hope someone will help me with the headers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts