LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On a stock 09 G8 what would be the best bang for the buck & noticible gain in hp would it be cold air intake , exhaust , hand held programmer , also what brand is perfered this is my wifes car so i'm not putting headers & all that but just give an extra something in power for her.

That better slow i'm pretty sure seeing how smart you are you knew what i was talking about but thanks anyway appreciate the help.

·
Administrator
7,520 Posts
I would have to say making an 09 GTO would have to be the starting point.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just noticed i posted in wrong area oh well i never claimed to be real smart :screwy:Should be in G8 not GTO sorry

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
A CAI and IAT relo-kit, especially the vararam from what I've read. Some people are skittish about water with them though. Tune, the A6 is supposed to come alive after a good tune.

Exhaust on them are $$$. The cheapest way out would be to put in a couple cut outs, but people have seen ~10HP from geting rid of the resonator and putting in an X pipe in its place.

Just as a side note, I was looking and I think the F-body mac headers may fit. I wish I had kept mine so I could try them out.

I have yet to get my wife to want to mod her's yet. I keep trying though. :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the new handheld tuners any good or you talking mail order tune what's advantages over handhelds

·
Registered
304 Posts
A CAI and IAT relo-kit, especially the vararam from what I've read. Some people are skittish about water with them though. Tune, the A6 is supposed to come alive after a good tune.

Exhaust on them are $$$. The cheapest way out would be to put in a couple cut outs, but people have seen ~10HP from geting rid of the resonator and putting in an X pipe in its place.

Just as a side note, I was looking and I think the F-body mac headers may fit. I wish I had kept mine so I could try them out.

I have yet to get my wife to want to mod her's yet. I keep trying though. :D
not if you do it yourself or buy the parts and get a shop to do it. whats expensive is buying an entire pre-made exhaust system.

btw headers with regular mufflers and some heat wrap won't be very loud.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
not if you do it yourself or buy the parts and get a shop to do it. whats expensive is buying an entire pre-made exhaust system.
If you're doing all mandrel that can get expensive fast. Most shops charge at least $20/weld. Stainless 3" 90* bends are around $30 retail (actually a little over IIRC). You need 4 right off. Thats about $320 and you're only where the resonator is and thats not including the little sections of pipe or sales tax. Plus many shops won't do the work if there is any removing of cats involved.

If you want to DIY, most would have to buy a welder, spend time and resources learning to weld, and then all the time trying to engineer the system. For most its just easier to buy a premade system and bolt it up.

I have a friend that owns an exhaust shop so I could get the bends at cost and free labor. My wife still doesn't want me to mess with it though. If I did her exhaust I'd like to put some stick mufflers in the resonator spot (but not sure if there is enough room), put cut outs before the axel, and leave the stock axel back section. That way I could make it loud when I wanted, but quiet the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Traco

I wish they still made the G8 I'm 55k miles on my 08 and ready for a new car. I love my $30k sports car. I'm sending it over to my buddy Larry over at Traco www.traco-usa.com to kick things up a notch till I figure out what I'm doing for my next car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wish they still made the G8 I'm 55k miles on my 08 and ready for a new car. I love my $30k sports car. I'm sending it over to my buddy Larry over at Traco www.traco-usa.com to kick things up a notch till I figure out what I'm doing for my next car.
i was just wondering what you meant. The way you worded that it sounded like you wished they still made the G8 so you could buy one.
why would you run 50k on yours then wants a new one? Your car is still practically new.

only thing i can figure is you just want a different car and you meant you wish they still made the G8 as a separate thought.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you're doing all mandrel that can get expensive fast. Most shops charge at least $20/weld. Stainless 3" 90* bends are around $30 retail (actually a little over IIRC). You need 4 right off. Thats about $320 and you're only where the resonator is and thats not including the little sections of pipe or sales tax. Plus many shops won't do the work if there is any removing of cats involved.

If you want to DIY, most would have to buy a welder, spend time and resources learning to weld, and then all the time trying to engineer the system. For most its just easier to buy a premade system and bolt it up.

I have a friend that owns an exhaust shop so I could get the bends at cost and free labor. My wife still doesn't want me to mess with it though. If I did her exhaust I'd like to put some stick mufflers in the resonator spot (but not sure if there is enough room), put cut outs before the axel, and leave the stock axel back section. That way I could make it loud when I wanted, but quiet the rest of the time.
yeah but most car guys like learning new skills and techniques and don't plan on owning and modding only ne car in there lifetimes.
Getting new equipment and skills is part of the hobby :)

plus its not like welding is a useless thing to learn and you'll only be able to apply it to exhaust fabrication

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
yeah but most car guys like learning new skills and techniques and don't plan on owning and modding only ne car in there lifetimes.
Getting new equipment and skills is part of the hobby :)

plus its not like welding is a useless thing to learn and you'll only be able to apply it to exhaust fabrication
A lot of car guys are also younger, don't have the $ to buy a welder and supplies or have space to store or even use it if they live in an apartment. Hand tools are cheap and can be used many other places, plus laying under a car bolting on an exhaust it much easier and safer for a novice than welding in a confined space would be.

Ya, I'm sure many of us would love to own a welder just like we would love to own lifts for out cars too, but at some point practicality factors in and it just isn't practical for everyone to buy a piece of equipment they'll only use once in a while.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A lot of car guys are also younger, don't have the $ to buy a welder and supplies or have space to store or even use it if they live in an apartment. Hand tools are cheap and can be used many other places, plus laying under a car bolting on an exhaust it much easier and safer for a novice than welding in a confined space would be.

Ya, I'm sure many of us would love to own a welder just like we would love to own lifts for out cars too, but at some point practicality factors in and it just isn't practical for everyone to buy a piece of equipment they'll only use once in a while.
yeah I understand that, it's just that personally im glad i bought my lincoln for 300 bucks and its been alotta fun learning to use it and im only 18 so it was a alot of my paycheck like you said.

I don't know but I'd be willing to bet you could find a used one on craigslist for under 200
After you learn theres a bunch more things you look at and see another way of fixing through metal. Like my futon lol or some of the tools I have had to fabricate to make things easier to work on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts