LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read quite a few threads about people considering a GTO

I am in the same boat. The Trans Am is getting up there, and I have to start considering jumping out before I am in too deep.

I always liked the GTO, but never was really crazy about them, I really liked the interior, so comfortable and large, plus you have the V-8 plus the 6spd

I was looking at fueleconomy.gov and it says that the 04 gets 16/26mpg and the 05/06 get 15/23 mpg

The 05-06 have the nicer rear valence and exhaust, the bigger brakes, and the 6.0

but on the contrary the 04 doesnt have the hood scoops and the 04s are much more plentiful and cheaper with around the same amount of miles

I am considering this for a daily driver

SO...
What are the benefits of a 05/06 over the 04, I have read about some suspension stuff, but anything else?

what would be needed to swap the exhaust from an 05/06 to a 04?

Im figuring the bumper would be a straight swap.

This is what I have in mind.

Buy an 04 silver GTO with the black interior, take off the rear spoiler, convert the rear to a 05/06, and get the SAP front bumper facia

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
If you just want a DD either should be fine, but if you are looking to mod I'd really only consider the 6.0.

With the 6.0 you get the better flowing heads so you will easily always be +20 rwhp for every mod compared to the 5.7 and with the 4.0" bore you can always upgrade to the LS3 heads down the road where its not even an option with the LS1.

Not sure about non engine differences, sure someone will chime in. They do have nice interiors and ride good though.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just want a DD either should be fine, but if you are looking to mod I'd really only consider the 6.0.

With the 6.0 you get the better flowing heads so you will easily always be +20 rwhp for every mod compared to the 5.7 and with the 4.0" bore you can always upgrade to the LS3 heads down the road where its not even an option with the LS1.

Not sure about non engine differences, sure someone will chime in. They do have nice interiors and ride good though.
Im not planning on modding it at all (dont flame haha). Just need a cool/reliable DD, the rest of the cash will go into the 68, just prioritizing

·
Registered
39 Posts
They make split dual exhausts for the 04. The 05/06 have a different mid-pipe, so you would have to get an exhaust that connects to the 04 mid-pipes. Or get headers and 05/06 mid-pipes, and an exhaust for an 05/06.
The bumper is a straight swap, and you need to install a hanger on the passenger side.

I'll tell you, though: the stock 04 exhaust with long tube headers sounds really, really nice.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Get either. Both will run about the same but the nod goes to the LS2, stock for stock but only a couple of tenths in the 1/4. Daily driver wouldn't notice at all, for the most part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had an 05 and an 06 and am now looking at an 04. They were great daily drivers. I will be doing the same with this one.

Why change the 04s exhaust? How many cars out there do you see that have a true dual exhaust on one side?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts