LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my Formula yesterday around town with the AC on. Temp stayed right on 210, then climbed to about 220 in a little stop and go traffic. Got home and was still running the a.c. for maybe five minutes or so and the engine overheated. Pegged the temp gauge. Shut her off and observed boiling fluid coming out of the radiator cap. Let her cool off overnight and checked fluid level. Radiator full and the reservoir dipstick clearly showed full/cold. Possible cap issue? Brand new AC Delco water pump and thermostat and all new radiator hoses installed about 6 weeks ago.

·
Global Moderator
13,559 Posts
You really should say what year your car is.

If it's a 3rd or 4th gen, does you radiator fan or fans turn on? Factory turn on temp is 225 degrees for low speed. And 235 degrees for high speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The year is in the subject title, 01. Yes, the fans were on when I shut it down. I put on an AC Delco RC94 radiator cap and will see if that may have been the issue. I'll also make sure that I don't have any blockage from road debris.
You really should say what year your car is.

If it's a 3rd or 4th gen, does you radiator fan or fans turn on? Factory turn on temp is 225 degrees for low speed. And 235 degrees for high speed.

·
Global Moderator
13,559 Posts
I just noticed that you overheated when car was idling at home with ac on. The system can sometimes overheat when standing still for an extended period. Most lights in stop & go traffic don't keep you waiting for 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Driving my Formula yesterday around town with the AC on. Temp stayed right on 210, then climbed to about 220 in a little stop and go traffic. Got home and was still running the a.c. for maybe five minutes or so and the engine overheated. Pegged the temp gauge. Shut her off and observed boiling fluid coming out of the radiator cap. Let her cool off overnight and checked fluid level. Radiator full and the reservoir dipstick clearly showed full/cold. Possible cap issue? Brand new AC Delco water pump and thermostat and all new radiator hoses installed about 6 weeks ago.
I have a 1994 LT1 motor in my trans am and have similar issues. I changed a bunch of stuff, but the main issue came back to the thermostat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts