99 GPGT L26 Top Swap Build - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

99 GPGT L26 Top Swap Build

Update on my Grand Prix... I threw #1 rod on my 99 GT and it's time for an overhaul!!!! Knowing the weak links of the L36 I found a LOW mileage L26 out of a 2007 Buick that I picked up. I purchased a top swap setup from a member on Grand Prix Forums and had the Gen III blower case ported, intake and heads gasket matched, exhaust opened up some, all polished up ect. Running an XP cam, 42.5# injectors, N* throttle body with LQ4 MAF, 3.4 pulley, SD headers, custom tune PCM from Intense, among other stuff.. I'm ready to get it back on the road and hopefully will in a couple week.. Here's some pics, I'll post more this weekend when I get the block reassembled ready to drop in.

1995 Firebird Formula - Black, Z06 Rims, Magnaflow Cat, Magnaflow Cat Back, LT1
1999 Grand Prix GT - L26, Ported Top Swap, XP Cam, 3.4 MPS, 42.5#, N*, LQ4, SD Headers, Double Roller, 3" Dual Borla Pro XS, INTENSE Custom Tune, FWI, White, 5% Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 PM

Looks like quote the project. Keep up the pics..

1995 z28 m6, p&p heads/intake, lt4 hotcam, comp 1:6 rockers, comp springs, ls7 lifters, k&n ppk2,3:90 gears, z06 wheels, hooker mid length headers, ovtc wires, momo racing seats, ect ect..
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

XP cam installed, Double Roller, Studs. Figured I'd mock up some other stuff...

1999 Grand Prix GT - L26, Ported Top Swap, XP Cam, 3.4 MPS, 42.5#, N*, LQ4, SD Headers, Double Roller, 3" Dual Borla Pro XS, INTENSE Custom Tune, FWI, White, 5% Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Also pulled that big ol 3.8 pulley off for a MPS 3.4 setup.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 PM

What hp range your looking to get after the mods? Sorry if it sounds stupid lol it just interesting your modding the GP i love those cars

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

I have seen similar builds get ~ 300whp give or take some. I've had the heads cleaned up some with mild exhaust porting along with intake/heads have been gasket matched. I'm hoping with the heads and 3.4 pulley I'll get 300 - 320whp. Now when I go intercooled, that will be a whole new world.

Doesn't sound stupid at all, I'm curious about it to but it's hard to say. I'm guessing based on similar builds. I will dyno the car once it's done, local shop offered up free dyno time because they are curious to!!! lol

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbextreme View Post
I have seen similar builds get ~ 300whp give or take some. I've had the heads cleaned up some with mild exhaust porting along with intake/heads have been gasket matched. I'm hoping with the heads and 3.4 pulley I'll get 300 - 320whp. Now when I go intercooled, that will be a whole new world.

Doesn't sound stupid at all, I'm curious about it to but it's hard to say. I'm guessing based on similar builds. I will dyno the car once it's done, local shop offered up free dyno time because they are curious to!!! lol
Lol that's so cool i really like GPs just never think abt tinkering with one but now im seriously curious as to what this baby might put up lol keep updating and videos when its running!! Best of luck man!

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Will do, I appreciate it!!!

I know stock GTP's running 8.5:1 are rated at 260hp. Just top swapping a non supercharged motor will give you the all the perks WITH 9.4:1 compression. There's an instant 5% increase putting it at ~275-280hp. Stock cam lift is intake .413/ exhaust .413. The XP cam I am running is .520/.536 with the 1.6 rockers. Decent difference there With the porting work to the blower, intake, and heads along with headers and higher compression and the pulley drop it should pull decent numbers. Probably pull my LT1 car pretty easily I hope.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Catch up:

Motor is in and bolted up

Starting to hook stuff up, MAF look familiar??

Installing my Aeroforce

Car is alive!!! Still idling high, but it's a cold start. Should be 650 - 700 RPM not the 1100 it's sitting at. Still might have a slight vacuum leak, but well see if it tones down.

*** Video ***

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Oh man it looks sweet but i can't watch video it shows like a pic not a video maybe its my phone lol can you make a link to video

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

See if this works better.

2013-04-25181324.mp4 Video by dbextreme | Photobucket

I drove the car today and warmed it up. I'll have to do another video of it on the road and warm idle. Love the cam with the lower idle, it's sitting at 1100 in this video.. But I eased it out today, put 5-6 miles on it. Opened it up once at a 25-30 roll and and wow, after it hooked up it I think I have permasmile... LOL My exhaust will come in next week so a trip to the muffler shop hopefully next Friday or by the weekend at the latest. also I had to order a rebuilt supercharger snout, the seal was leaking BAD on this one slinging oil everywhere, so instead of just replacing the seal I'll just do it all right (should have in the beginning). It should be in Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll paint it and replace the old one... Other then that, everything seems ok.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 PM

Nothing lol i.think its my phone but anyways why is it idling so high? Did u find a vacuum leak? I bet you had that smile all day long lol...

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

dang phones!!!! Try the Youtube link.. LOL

Grand Prix GT Top Swap XP Startup - YouTube

I thought I might have a vacuum leak, but I also I am running an open downpipe at the moment so no back pressure might be causing it also. My fuel trims are off a bit to, so the Front O2 might be reading wrong since it's close to the flex in the header right before the opening... I can't do much until my snout gets here, mufflers should show up about the same time so I'll fool with it more after I get my exhaust on it and see how it does then. After I drove it today it's around 800 - 900 so a little back pressure might put me right where it should be.

And yeah!!!! my cheeks hurt!!!! LOL

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 PM

Holy sh#t it sounds good man even with exhaust like that lol i can't wait to hear it with exhaust done... N yeah your right its probably not vacuum leak.. How many lbs of boost you running? Are you using same fuel injectors? Fuel pump? How abt any upgrades to ignition?

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 PM

Nvm i see your running 42.5 injectors lol missed that part

Sponsored Links
Advertisement