Help! Overheating 96 Firebird 3.8L V6 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Help! Overheating 96 Firebird 3.8L V6

About a week ago after getting a new cat installed, my car overheated on the way home from the muffler shop. Since then I have replace the water pump and the intake gasket. I am still overheating, the system has been bled and pressure tested. The coolant leak was coming from the intake gasket, had it replaced, and it's still overheating. Then I thought it could be the water pump, so I just replaced that and It's still overheating. Car runs perfectly, no stuttering or anything temp just gets too hot and i have to shut it down and let it cool off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to GTP231
Could be one of the coolant bypass elbows leaking. Notorious problem. Are the fans coming on and how hot is it getting up to?

Mr. Black Angus
01 PT Cruiser (beater for now)
03 GTP Stock I swear
13.464 @ 103.51 mph spinning a lil Totaled 9/25/2010
LSx> L67> Cross Fire> LTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
God said, let there be light, and the optispark was born...and he saw that it was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Lt1's suck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM

It Could be a few things. IF your fans are not turning on could be a bad relay or coolant temp sensor. Improper coolant mixture. Fan motor or clogged passage in the system. Make sure those fans are turning on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Does it over heat within 5-10 minutes. If so (Thermo stat.)
At idle if its over heating, but staying cool while driving ( water pump, 0r fans not comming on)
If ur driving it and its throwing all the antifreeze into the resevoir but not pulling it back into the radiator ( radiator cap)
Change your oil, if u change it and it looks milky ( headgasket.)
When the car is cold, take the rad cap off and crank it. Watch for alot of white sweet smelling exhaust coming outhe tail pipe and also for bubbles in the radiator itself. If this is happening probably ( headgasket )
Make sure none of your fuses are blown as well. Make aure your cat isnt clogged even tho new ya never know.
Let us know whats up.

95 T/A , M6 , Lt4 hotcam , 1.6 RR, Trickflow aluminum heads, Moroso CAI, Polished Elbow, 58 MM Holley TB, 44 pound Injectors, Edelbrock RPM air gap Intake, MSD wires, MSD opti, Pacesetter LTs, Spiral Bullet, Magnaflow catback, 4.10 gears, Aluminum Driveshaft.

93 Corvette Spec Flywheel
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 AM

It could have over heated and the heads are worpped as well. Also check for leaks beside the exhaust manifolds. Those strangely are weird.

95 T/A , M6 , Lt4 hotcam , 1.6 RR, Trickflow aluminum heads, Moroso CAI, Polished Elbow, 58 MM Holley TB, 44 pound Injectors, Edelbrock RPM air gap Intake, MSD wires, MSD opti, Pacesetter LTs, Spiral Bullet, Magnaflow catback, 4.10 gears, Aluminum Driveshaft.

93 Corvette Spec Flywheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement