how to make a performance v6 - Page 4 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Spelling Bee winnah!

The dude that ran 11.8 also had a nice wheel and tire set, gotta remember that. As for boost I'm pretty sure you can't run anything too high in the 3800s without doing some major work or a high risk of blowing it up. I know for around $1,000 I could get my GTP running in the 13s with the smaller pulley and exhaust work, but even doing that you risk issues. After that the motor work gets pricey very quickly.

The dude with the N/A 3800 was way over my head but no, he didn't even have spray. The car was also fully gutted running slicks and skinnies. I know the motor had a lot of work done to it with a lot of scientific and mathematical mumbo jumbo. It was his third 3800 motor I believe because some of the experiments ended badly. He was the mechanic and he had a friend drive the car. They are fairly serious racers.

Another person I know has a GT and did a top swap, cam and some other big changes. He also ran slicks at the track and trailered the thing there and back. He kept boasting about how he was gonna run a mid to high 12 and totally kick my ass. One day we went to the track at the same time. He ran twice with a 14 and a high 13 and then the car broke down on him. He then proceeded to throw a fit like a complete baby. I met him a week or so later and you should have heard the excuses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM

What I don't get is why someone would waste so much time, money, and effort into a n/a v6. Why not turbo it and be done with it? I've been thinking about getting a supercharged car for the wife after I get the truck paid off and getting one of those turbo kits since I can use some of the leftovers from my turbo t. My question is, how long will the transmission hold up to these bigger turbos and 25+lbs of boost? I find it hard to believe that the pt61 wouldn't kill a stock trans at high boost and at the same time does not need a converter. THose are 10 second capable turbos in the GN world.

Choose your number of cylinders

V8-93 Pontiac T/A Full option hard top

V6-87 Buick Turbo T WE4 hardtop low option
radio delete w/ aluminum supports & drums
ANd soon to join the pack...
I4-88 Dodge daytona shelby z 2.2 IC 5spd ttops
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Spelling Bee winnah!

The gentlemen that does my tuning (Bruce at Aggressive Automotive Performance) won the TSE class a few years ago. He is a master mind and even pumped out over 40 hps just on the tune alone of my car. He has put many LT1 cars in the single digit numbers.

I went to his annual yearly event last year and a customer Grand National he built ran an 8.89. The customer himself doesn't even use the car at the strip, but instead is a serious street racer that bets on 1k+ races. Bruce told me that the car I saw wasn't even the fastest one he's ever built.

As for the N/A 3800, why not? It obviously impressed you. Also I don't think the guy spent any big money on the car. If I remember right he has his own machine shop and ground the components himself. I would rather have his car than any of the ZZP cars I've seen at the track. The last SS Cobalt ZZP car I saw was going under some major issues.

I did see a guy with a turbo grand prix run 11.7s all day long on a motor that had 240k miles on it. But his car had A LOT of work done to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1_black_LT1 Send a message via Yahoo to 1_black_LT1
I can't believe I made that mistake a long time ago.
Bought a v6.....got attached to it and just kept trying to make it fast.
I realized a simple forged rebuild would cost me out the ass.....THEN I still had to drop another $5000k on the procharger....then I had to get it all tuned and troubleshoot it.......realistically.
Then I had to swap the Rear, Trans, Brakes, driveshaft, pay for tires......
I just realized it wasn't worth getting into debt JUST to prove a v6 can hang with v8's.......plus likely blow my motor and have all the high maintenance that comes with owning a supercharger...

Second time around I just went straight for the v8, and it only cost me $3k.
And it's cheaper/faster for the money.

-95 Camaro Z28-6spd,135k miles
-Too many bikes to list.
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Spelling Bee winnah!

Yea, no doubt... That's why I'm keeping our GTP stock... I might do exhaust, tune and suspension down the road just for shits and giggles. I need to get my fiancee a new car after we get married though before I do that.

post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_black_LT1 View Post
I can't believe I made that mistake a long time ago.
Bought a v6.....got attached to it and just kept trying to make it fast.
I realized a simple forged rebuild would cost me out the ass.....THEN I still had to drop another $5000k on the procharger....then I had to get it all tuned and troubleshoot it.......realistically.
Then I had to swap the Rear, Trans, Brakes, driveshaft, pay for tires......
I just realized it wasn't worth getting into debt JUST to prove a v6 can hang with v8's.......plus likely blow my motor and have all the high maintenance that comes with owning a supercharger...

Second time around I just went straight for the v8, and it only cost me $3k.
And it's cheaper/faster for the money.
I would love to get my old v6 m112 car back. The power was insane for a v6. I could run a 12 easy. and still hang with the shelbys. What i like is the satisfaction you get because mostly gt owners are cocky as hell when they see a v6.

97 trans am, LT1. Dynomax Full Length Headers with a X-pipe with 2 dynomax race bullet mufflers, BMR Strut Tower Brace, OTVC Wire Kit. Stagg Struts with Vogtland Springs Lower Control Arms, adjustable panhard bar, Aluminum drive-shaft, 17 Zo6 wheels, and PCMtuning tune =D
DD 00 saturn sl2 auto...a great 35 mpg
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Spelling Bee winnah!

There's a nice newer V6 stang around me, the guy works at the corner store. It sounds really awesome as I think he said he has full exhaust. Also he put in some 3.73s. I have a feeling he surprises a few GT guys.

post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM

75 wet shot nitrous kit. (450 bucks). Once youve had your fun with the juice, and have blown up that motor, go buy a v8 k-member and an Lt1...Then put the nitrous back on it.hehe.

94' Z28 engine build in progress. Home built 4L60E ~ K&N Cold Air, coolant bypass, air foil, MSD Optispark

00'Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 24v Diesel. 100hp injectors, 8" stack, custom built a618 trans and converter, more to come.
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrad08 View Post
I would love to get my old v6 m112 car back. The power was insane for a v6. I could run a 12 easy. and still hang with the shelbys. What i like is the satisfaction you get because mostly gt owners are cocky as hell when they see a v6.
The last time I got next to a mustang GT on the road I jumped on it at a 35mph roll and smoked the tires sideways next to him. I guess my little buick v6 with the stock turbo was a bit too much...on 22psi

Choose your number of cylinders

V8-93 Pontiac T/A Full option hard top

V6-87 Buick Turbo T WE4 hardtop low option
radio delete w/ aluminum supports & drums
ANd soon to join the pack...
I4-88 Dodge daytona shelby z 2.2 IC 5spd ttops
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM

to the op, you can't............if anything get 3:73s gears...It will make the car FEEL 3x faster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement